PDA

View Full Version : HELP! -- SUSPENSION PROBLEM

Sandglow
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a 1962 109 SW. When I got the truck it had stock springs. I installed a set of Heavy Duty Parabolics from Rovers North. I, however, did not replace the chassis bushings while I was at it (I know, I know. . .). When I replaced the springs I noticed that there were dents and some cracking on the bottom side of the chassis just above where the front spring hooks into the shackle. It looked as if the springs had gone flat at some point in the truck's life and the owner continued to off road the truck and the springs banged up against the chassis. In any event, even after replacing the springs, I have very little space (1/4" maybe) between the top of the spring (where the front spring loops around the shackle bolt--shackles behind front wheels) and the bottom of the chassis and, when I go off road, sometimes the springs bang up against the chassis. What is the cause of this and what is the best solution? Can I fit military shackles to gain extra distance between the spring and chassis? Or, should I consider a different parabolic spring--the Rovers North springs sit more flat (more of the stock height) than other parabolics I've seen (Rocky Mountain; Haystee), which tends to push the shackle further back and the spring closer to the bottom of the chassis?

Sorry for the long question. Thanks. :eek:

graniterover
10-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Can you snap a pic?

SafeAirOne
10-13-2008, 07:30 AM
I might check those bushings--When the rubber deteriorates it becomes almost as if the rubber part isn't there at all.