PDA

View Full Version : Columbia SC land rover dealer was snobnoxious at car show

thixon
10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Last weekend, I took my 7 year old to a british car show in Columia, SC. Pretty good show, but no series trucks. The local LR dealer participated in sponsorship, and had a tent with a few new Rovers. My son headed for the tent when he saw all the free schwag. He mentioned to one of the salesman that he had a rover in the garage at home, and that he and dad were fixing it up. The saleman then asked if it was running, and proceded to explain to my son that he needed to talk me into buying a new one that would actually run, and that the older trucks were pieces of junk. I just smiled, grabbed my sons hand, and walked away. Nice.

SafeAirOne
10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Last weekend, I took my 7 year old to a british car show in Columia, SC. Pretty good show, but no series trucks. The local LR dealer participated in sponsorship, and had a tent with a few new Rovers. My son headed for the tent when he saw all the free schwag. He mentioned to one of the salesman that he had a rover in the garage at home, and that he and dad were fixing it up. The saleman then asked if it was running, and proceded to explain to my son that he needed to talk me into buying a new one that would actually run, and that the older trucks were pieces of junk. I just smiled, grabbed my sons hand, and walked away. Nice.

Just a personal observation here...I think your experience is pretty accurate in describing the mindset of a majority (not ALL, mind you) of new rover owners. New rovers are just expensive status-symbol grocery-getters to a good number of Discovery, LR3 and Range Rover owners.

Jeff Aronson's recent article in the RN News touches on the fact that not many "modern" rover owners initiate/return salutations as we pass each other on the road. I've found that I can count on the following: 1) any defender will return a greeting, 2) any modified discovery will return a salute and 3) OLDER range rover classic drivers will wave. Other than that, ALL other Rover operators seem to be oblivious or even contemptuous. Too bad....

thixon
10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Mark,

No big surprises, just thought it was funny. I was a little ticked that the guy knocked a project that a 7 year old kid was obviously excited about (and did so to the 7 year old). Strange way to try and sell a new rover. Go figure.

greenmeanie
10-13-2008, 10:40 AM
My local Land Rover dealership in Phoenix loves me.

On one occasion I was desperate for some V8 parts for my 101 so stopped there in my 88. One of the salesmen told me to move it. Essentially it didn't fit the image of the place. I walked inside, pointed to the poster on the wall and told him that it was real trucks like mine that allowed him to sell the crap like his. Like a good girl, she left a nice oil stain on their expensive fore court.

On another occasion I lost the bolt holding on the alternator on my 101. (I'm starting to see a pattern here.) As I was within a mile of the dealership I stopped there to get a replacement. The parts guys wouldn't sell me the bolt because my truck was not LRNA approved. BS.

In the meantime a salesman was showing a family round the lot of SUVs when their son spied my green beastie. They were over like a shot poking around her and asking how to get one. The salesman got really uncomfortable as he had to check the badge on the front. He gave me a really nasty look when I told them they'd be better buying a Toyota as dealer parts support for Rovers was really poor.

Maybe it's my British attitude towards these things being farm trucks but I can't stand the attitude of Rover dealers these days.

jp-
10-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Thixon, I can relate, as I have actually done that to someone before. In my younger days, I was talking to a man and his son when he mentioned that he was working on some car (I think it may have been an old [ch]eep), and I told him that he was wasting his time on that POS. Anyway, he walked off with his son, and I realized what I had done. I felt bad the whole rest of the day. Bottom line was that I learned that you may not like what a person has, but if it's a father-son project don't knock the project.

Green, some of the best advice I ever heard was that a prospective employee should learn everything about the company before they head into the interview. I memorized my company's history back to 1898. When asked, "Tell me, what do you know about our company?" I had the whole scoop and I got the job. As a customer, I expect my car dealer to know the history of the product that he is selling, otherwise, I am forced to ask myself how one can sell a product that a) they do not know well or b) that they don't care to learn about. Dealers should learn at least the basic history of the marques that they sell. The only other alternative is for Land Rover NA to force dealers to take a mandatory history lesson.

thixon
10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
My plan is to actually take the car to that same show next year. I should have the '88 on the road by then. I may actually make a sign that reads "what a real Land Rover Looks Like," and park my truck next to the dealerships tent. I normally avoid car show entry with any of my vehicles, but I may make an exception. I'll keep everyone posted.

sailtech
10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Travis, my Series IIa 88 should be finished by then. I'll make the drive from Charleston and park next to you.

thixon
10-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Travis, my Series IIa 88 should be finished by then. I'll make the drive from Charleston and park next to you.

Better than that, you park on one side and I'll park on the other. We'll surround 'em!

rivertonrovers
10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I would like to add a comment about all this as well. I don't have a Rover dealership here in Wyo. but I have used Land Rover Centerville just north of Salt Lake city, and Flatirons Land Rover just outside of Boulder Colorado. I have to say that they are both great. When I pulled in to the Boulder dealership about half of the employees came out and poked all around my series IIA. Then the general sales manager came over to tell me how cool it was to see the "real thing"! The guys at Centerville sold me a RRC and they wanted to see all the stuff on my website, and the GSM there told me that he always loved the older Land Rovers. I am not trying to go against the grain here but I wanted to say that my experiences with the Land Rover dealerships have not all been bad. I guess I would say that if you are ever in the boulder area in your series truck stop in and see Kirby. Nice guy and he sure likes series trucks.

Bill Riter
www.rivertonrovers.com

Jim-ME
10-14-2008, 10:35 AM
I have had a good experience with the Rover Dealership in Scarborough, ME. Stopped in to say hello and they showed actual interest in the old beastie.
Jim

scott
10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
my experience in albuquerque was posative. my wife drives and lr3 and i've had a reason or two to stop by the dealer in my iia swb. it drew a crowd of new rover employees, sale and service. they wouldn't let me cruise their little show/test trail though. as for new rove ownership, i talked the wife into the lr3 after her volvo xc90 got crunched to death. yes it's a "grocery getter" or as i like to call it a "footie mum" car. but i think it is also a capalble off road vic.

i can't understand why a dealership would ever belittle it's roots. having a series iia on the lot would seem to be a testimony to the durability of the marque

thixon
10-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I was'nt knocking dealerships in general, just the one in columbia... actually, the employees manning the tent representing the dealership in columbia. I've had my share of good experiences as well. About 12 years ago, while driving my old SIII in the atlanta area, a guy flagged me down in traffic. It turned out to be the sales manager of one of the LR locations in the atlanta area. He convinced me to drive to his dealership to show off the SIII to some of his staff. Once there he gave me a bunch of T-Shirts, stickers, and a keyfob (which I still have).

I don't expect everyone (or anyone really) to know what a series rover is, or to share my interest in them. I just don't like it when someone gets high and mighty, knocks something I like, and tries to make my kid feel bad (which luckily he was'nt able to do).

The dumbest part of the whole thing to me was the guys lack of sales skills. For all that guy knew, I was all reved up to buy a new RR that day. If I'm ever in the market, I sure has heck won't be going to see him.

sayers
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
This happened to me a couple of years ago. A salesperson from a LR dealership in Kentucky called me and ask if and when I was ready for a new land rover. I told him yes, I was ready when the defender returned to the states, in this really funny voice he ask me what was a defender ?, go figure.