PDA

View Full Version : Series III Gearbox

n6zt
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I have a Dormobile with a Robert Davis 3 litre engine. I purchased a Series III Gearbox and High Ratio transfer case from RN. Since the outset, the gearbox when in 4th gear will slide out when the throttle is feathered, usually while going downhill. It just gently slides out. You can hold the gearlever and it will stay in, without any effort. All other gears work fine. It shifts fine and is not noisy at all. I really don't want to pull the whole shabang out again....any suggestions? weak spring in the detent.
Thanks
Jim

Apis Mellifera
10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Probably stuck detent ball(s)

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5043

bullstanky
10-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a Dormobile with a Robert Davis 3 litre engine. I purchased a Series III Gearbox and High Ratio transfer case from RN. Since the outset, the gearbox when in 4th gear will slide out when the throttle is feathered, usually while going downhill. It just gently slides out. You can hold the gearlever and it will stay in, without any effort. All other gears work fine. It shifts fine and is not noisy at all. I really don't want to pull the whole shabang out again....any suggestions? weak spring in the detent.
Thanks
Jim

I have the same problem with my SIII. I live in Raleigh NC and we have big hills here. When I feather the throttle going downhill in 4th, the stick just pops forward and out of gear. I'd love to hear how your detent spring replacement goes. I have not a clue about the process - does it require dropping the transmission and digging around inside?

Leslie
10-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I live in Raleigh NC and we have big hills here.

ROTFLOL!!!!

:D

Sorry, just had to chuckle..........

I know you've got hills, but..... and, don't get me wrong, just because I've got hills over yours, doesn't mean I've got the biggest either, I'm sure some of our Colorado folks would put ours to shame w/o battin' an eye..... :)

Apis Mellifera
10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Detent springs you say?

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/881

Requires no internal surgery. Just remove the trans tunnel and there they are.

bullstanky
10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
ROTFLOL!!!!

:D

Note that I said hills, as in "Der's moonshiners in dem r hills". You have mountains, we have hills...either way, by the time I'm to the bottom of a 30% grade and my drivetrain is doing 60 mph in a vehicle whose top speed is about 45, 4th gear ain't holdin'.:cool:

This link makes if look like an easy fix

daveb
10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
top speed 45? you got some tuning issues brotha.

anyway, I would suggest to try the detent spring although in my somewhat extensive experience on this particular issue, it is a long shot at best. You MAY be able to get the ball out without removing the top cover, if you have a very strong magnet. Never worked for me though. If you are going to all the trouble to pull the top cover I would check the 3/4 synchro visually and make sure it looks "kosher." IF IT SHOWS PARTICUALR WEAR I WOULD REQUEST A NEW GEARBOX. If you are in the warranty period, and maybe even if you are not. Also check the 3/4 shift fork for wear and make sure that it is tight on the selector shaft. You also can move the shift fork forward a CH or two on the selector shaft so as to favor fourth over 3rd. But then you might get 3rd popping out. If you can't fix it and RN won't replace it then just wrap a bungee around the stick in 4th and that should hold it.

One other long shot fix is to make sure the special nut on the gearbox tailshaft is tightened correctly. Pull the rear PTO cover and the 4 bolt top cover off the transfer box. You'll need to bend up a tab and then retighten the nut either with a special tool or a brass drift.

Note that I said hills, as in "Der's moonshiners in dem r hills". You have mountains, we have hills...either way, by the time I'm to the bottom of a 30% grade and my drivetrain is doing 60 mph in a vehicle whose top speed is about 45, 4th gear ain't holdin'.:cool:

This link makes if look like an easy fix

bullstanky
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
top speed 45? you got some tuning issues brotha.

You mean your rover goes faster than 45?:eek:

I've got an old Ford Transit diesel in my 109" that was swapped in by a previous owner. Even with a Fairey OD installed, the only time my speedo tops 50mph is when I'm headed downhill. Part of the issue is the oversized tires that are on there, and the speedo probably isn't terribly acurrate (it jumps around when stopped and in neutral), but there's just no getting around the fact that 55 hp isn't ever going to get you past the speed limit.

But, to tell you the truth, not only would the noise at 60mph + leave you deaf, there's nothing on a SIII that was really meant for the interstate or to take a collission at that speed.

rejeep
07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
hate to bring back an old post from the dead... but I guess it means I have searched!!!!

I am having a similar issue in 1st gear only... should I troubleshoot the same way?