PDA

View Full Version : getting my 88 Sat!

bmohan55
10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
My '72 88 will be delivered tomorrow...woo woo! I got it on e-bay (I know) and soon I'll find out what I got myself into. Said to be in very good (not restored) condition. The first thing I want to do is change all the fluids, the truck comes with factory repair manuals and owners manual. Do these manuals tell me the types of oil/grease I need, location of drain plugs, ect? It's been quite awhile since I've wrenched, this should be fun!

Jim-ME
10-17-2008, 01:15 PM
They do and if you can't find them we'll help.
Jim

crankin
10-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh man, the excitement of getting that dream car and being amazed with what the previous owners have botched up! Like with me... I discovered and removed 36 wood screws from various areas.

You might not have the proper tool to get to your slotted drain plug. Our hosts sells one: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5706-drain-plug-tool-.aspx (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/p-5706-drain-plug-tool-.aspx).

But, you can use a chisel and a pair of vice grips. Put the chisel in the slot, clamp down on the handle with the vice grips...
(http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/p-5706-drain-plug-tool-.aspx)

yorker
10-17-2008, 03:31 PM
You can also just use the open end of a wrench for the slotted drain plugs- that is what I've always used.

bmohan55
10-17-2008, 03:59 PM
thanks for the info...yes I'm very excited. As far as the PO I think I'm in good shape. Was told he had it for over 20 years on is big farm in Georgia. Wasn't even registared for the last 15 or so years just used to get mail and drive visitors around his land, maintained it as he would his farm equipment, i.e. perfect. From the pictures it looks new, not a dent or scratch nor a rip in the interior....it even has the orginal carpet! Odometer show 20,000.

BUT...we'll see tomorrow when we're officially introduced

Rineheitzgabot
10-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I am excited for you.

Post pics!

Tim Smith
10-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I am excited for you.

Post pics!
Yes please!

Eric W S
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
it even has the orginal carpet!

Rovers never had carpet.:confused: Rubber mats were an option. Hopefully there is no rust in your bulkhead!

Congrats,

EwS

bmohan55
10-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Had a few problems with it, thought I had bad gas (the truck) as it would back fire, miss then die. Eventually I drained the tank and replaced all the filters. Thought I solved the problem but today going home for lunch she died again!!!! As it turns out I have a new mechanical fuel pump AND an electric one that is operated by a toggle switch on the dash! I thought that switch was the heater as I heard the buzzing comming from the same area as the heater box. Evidently the mechanical one occasionally needs a little help and if I happend to have my "heater" on all is well, if not I died.

Well, I'm learning and loving it!

My pictures are still on the camera, will post a few later.

Here are two from the e-bay ad (i think) .....the interior is just about perfect! (well, except for that damn toggle switch!)

bmohan55
10-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Bulkhead is perfect! A peice of carpet was is the back and the rest is covering the bulkhead.

Leslie
10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, that looks *exceptionally* clean! Cool!!!!

sven
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Very nice! You did well :thumb-up:

bmohan55
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks, now 'fess up Sven, my wife called you up and told you to tell me that broken clutch stor didn't she!

You got it running yet?

The only thing I need to do is to get some marker lights working. Still had the points and the cartridge type filter so will upgrade them later. Oh, and paint those ugly wheels!

Leslie
10-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm still runnin' points, they're easy enough to live with, eh?

I agree, tho'..... you need some other color on the wheels. Either paint another set and swap them, then sell those off to someone who needs some that color, or paint those, either way.....

Terrys
10-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Rovers never had carpet.

They had a padding around the tunnel, transition, footwells and side kickpanels that was horsehair covered with some black, textured material. They were great for trapping moisture further aiding the rust in the footwell, but greatly cut down noise. I believe I still have a NOS set.

Rineheitzgabot
10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Bulkhead is perfect! A peice of carpet was is the back and the rest is covering the bulkhead.

Dude, are you sure that interior pic is not from a '72 Chevelle?:D

Those carpets and seats are good! That thing looks good all over. Nice color too;) .

Eric W S
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
They had a padding around the tunnel, transition, footwells and side kickpanels that was horsehair covered with some black, textured material. They were great for trapping moisture further aiding the rust in the footwell, but greatly cut down noise. I believe I still have a NOS set.

They were made out of Hardura. Never heard them described as being being covered in hair :eek:

I am still on the fence about replacing them in the 66. I think I will replace the center bulkhead section/sides of the foot wells only. Badger makes some fine replacements.

superstator
10-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Hardura is just a brand name for felt/horsehair covered with textured PVC. :)

Leslie
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Correction: it's wookie hair. At least, the stuff that's in the stock headlining, glued to the aluminum roof. Not fun stuff to remove, tough as a wookie.

:D

4flattires
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Good luck and have fun.

Jeff

badvibes
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Correction: it's wookie hair. At least, the stuff that's in the stock headlining, glued to the aluminum roof. Not fun stuff to remove, tough as a wookie.

:D

No joke! That stuff was a bear to get off the interior roof! I ended up using a drill with a wire wheel to remove it. Not a pleasant Rover memory. What the heck was that black adhesive they used? It was almost like some coal tar based nastiness or somesuch.

Jeff

bmohan55
10-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone! Yes I am really happy with it. I found out the hard way that it has both electric and mechanical fuel pumps (and the electric one really really need to be on!), would anyone know why? They are both new, along with fuel tank, fuel line, brakes lines, brake cylinders, rebuilt head, coil, distributer, wires, steering tighter than my Miata, ect.....I'm begining to think I'll be the weakest link on this truck!

Also there is a toggle switch in the middle of the dash above the 4-way flashers, what might that be for?

It came with a SII blue book and SIII maintence manual and neither reference that switch.

thanks again
Bob

crankin
10-21-2008, 08:11 AM
No joke! That stuff was a bear to get off the interior roof! I ended up using a drill with a wire wheel to remove it. Not a pleasant Rover memory. What the heck was that black adhesive they used? It was almost like some coal tar based nastiness or somesuch.

Jeff

I found out that paint stripper will dissolve that black tar...its makes a mess of the whole thing by smearing it all of the place. I felt like I was messing with POR 15. By the time it was all said and done I was covered in it!

SafeAirOne
10-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I found out the hard way that it has both electric and mechanical fuel pumps (and the electric one really really need to be on!), would anyone know why?

If the truck is otherwise stock, it shouldn't need an electric fuel pump. The electric pump likely overcomes some other fuel supply problem IMHO. 2 schools of thought: Ignore the root problem and keep using the electric pump or start diggin'.

Also there is a toggle switch in the middle of the dash above the 4-way flashers, what might that be for?

It could be for anything...if it is the switch between the 2 gage holes in the main panel, there is usually a warning light there, depending on model and engine. What does the previous owner say it's for? Are there any extra lights in the back?

Firemanshort
10-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I had a set of carpets like that in my first S3 88". They were installed as part of a mid-life upgrade to the truck in 1991. I assume that some after-market supplier (like Exmoor-Trim) made them and sold them but have long since stopped.

http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/interiorlft.jpg

Here is the ad from 1996 explaining the "upgrade".
http://www.geocities.com/firemanshort/1996AD.jpg

But this may have nothing to do with your truck since this was a UK outfit and yours looks to be NADA.

sven
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks, now 'fess up Sven, my wife called you up and told you to tell me that broken clutch stor didn't she!

You got it running yet?

I wish! No, the trans is still out. Havent had time to do anything on it lately.

CLIFF
10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
VERY NICE:thumb-up: