PDA

View Full Version : Fairey Overdrive Dipstick Disappeared

pvkd
10-18-2008, 10:00 PM
After attending the National Rally and driving some 2500 miles round trip from California, I drained my Overdrive. When I went to open the fill plug - no dipstick.

I assume it must have broken off enroute somewhere and has been 'consumed' by the Overdrive. I fished inside the unit from above and through the drain plug to no avail.

Has any body experienced the same? Aside from calling Rovers Downsouth (which I plan to do Monday) does anybody have any advice?

Thanks

Paul

Momo
10-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Paul, the dipstick is a light press fit into the plug (light as in gentle hammer tap), so when you do fish it out you can press it back in. Odd to have it drop out though. Maybe a drop of epoxy will prevent it recurring. I guess you did no damage to the OD guts, so the stick is probably just sitting in the corner.

Did you unbolt the top cover plate from the OD and look inside? Sounds like you did... you may need to remove the OD, turn it over and shake it out... or blast some compressed air in there to dislodge it. Hopefully the stick won't get stuck in the works. I would guess that with some persistence it will come out fine.

pvkd
10-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I assumed my Overdrive ate the dipstick but now you have me thinking. I will pull the inspection cover next weekend and have a look inside.

Any other ideas/comments?

Thanks

Paul

:confused:

TedW
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Now we need to worry about the Dreaded Dropping Dipstick. I'm gonna take mine out tonight, pull out the dipstick from the cap and JBWeld it back in. Won't sleep well until I do.

pvkd
10-25-2008, 11:07 PM
On some advice from Pat Young I probed the oil chamber through the dip stick hole with a pencil magnet and on the second try out came the dipstick. A close inspection revealed no teeth marks in the stick.:thumb-up:

I brazed the dip stick back into the filler plug. No more dip stick dropping for me!:D

Paul

Momo
10-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Excellent:thumb-up:

4flattires
10-26-2008, 05:45 PM
:thumb-up: