PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals and Brake Lights

GeoffWillis
10-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Trying to get my new MOD 110 street legal and can't seem to get the brake lights and turn signals to work. I'm also a little confused about the 6 position light switch. I assume the brake lights and turn signals should work even with the light switch in the off position, but I don't get any voltage at the fuse panel. Where is the turn signal flasher relay? I noticed in the owners manual that the alternator indicator lamp in the instrument cluster is wired in series, and if the bulb is burned out, then the battery will not charge. Are the turn signals and brake lights wired the same way? I guess for normal street use the correct position for the light switch is HST? In the rear of the vehicle I have 2 sets of amber lights and one pair of red lights. One of the amber lights work, are these the convoy lights? Sorry to ramble, I realize there's about 6 questions in here, appreciate any guidance.

Moose
10-19-2008, 05:21 PM
H.S.T. would be the normal position for light usage. H.S.T is head, side & tail (with sidelights being the front running/parking lights). S.T is side & tail. T is taillights. S.CONV is sidelights and rear convoy light. And CONV is just the rear convoy light. Brake lights and turn signals do not work in the CONV or S.CONV position. They should work in the Off and all the other positions, so it looks like you have a problem. The convoy light is the light under the rear of the truck behind the fuel tank. I shines on the rear diff, which usually has a white line painted on it. Visible to a following vehicle, but nobody else.

The flasher is behind the cover on the lower part of the bulkhead, just in front of the gearshift boot. Undo the two screws and it pops off. I think there is a legend on the inside of the cover informing you what relays are what.

For the rear lights I think the normal configuration is one pair of amber turn signals, one pair of red tail/brake lights and on pair of red rear fog lights. This is what I have on mine but I have not found a switch for the fog lights yet.

Don't know about the alt. light so can't comment on that one.

Brett

Leslie
10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow, it's been ages since I messed around in a 110 w/ that fat rotary switch, have to admit I wasn't fussin' around in the wiring.

Not a 110, but, my SIII, the park and headlights can come on w/ the ignition off, but the turn signals and the brake lights don't, FWIW.

The alternator light, should come on when the ignition's on, but the vehicle's not running; so, yeah, make sure you've got a bulb in there that functions correctly.

GeoffWillis
10-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I never understood the "Sidelamps" as being the running lights. My English-to-American dictionary has another entry, thanks Brett. Wife is leaving town tomorrow morning for the week so lots of quality garage time this week!