X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yank
    1st Gear
    • Nov 2007

Comression test

Well I did a compression test. 140/80/80/120 Does this look like a head gasket problem? Or do I have bigger problems?
    72 SIII
  • Daurie
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2007

Did you try putting a little oil in 2 and 3 and re-checking compression? I would try that one hole at a time and if that doesnt change anything I'd suspect head or gasket issues. Being 80 on both of the low holes I would guess they are leaking between each other. I've never tried it but I wonder if removing the push rods for one or the other low holes would help determine if it is leaking between cyls... Seems like keeping the valves closed on one and checking the other would result in a little higher reading.. if the exhaust is open on the adjacent ones compression stroke.. I'm sure there is a better way to check that.. Like maybe putting some compressed air in one of the holes and see if it comes out the next door plug hole.
    '73 SIII 88"
    Turner 8:1 Engine
    NRP Exhaust
    Roverdrive
    RM Parabolics
    OME Shocks
    Warn 8274
    Pangolin4X4 bumper

Comment

• Leslie
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by yank
      Well I did a compression test. 140/80/80/120 Does this look like a head gasket problem? Or do I have bigger problems?
      Classic. Two and three are joined.

On my head gasket, it was ~ 140/140/89/87, with three and four blown.

While you have the head off, take the time to inspect everything.... the valves, check for cracks, take a gander at the piston heads, etc.

Good luck!
      -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
      '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

Working...