PDA

View Full Version : New project ?/opinion

ML-ENGR
10-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello all,

Well the lord of oil stains and electrical problems has compelled me to pick up a new British project car. I was looking for a triumph tr4 (I’ve owned a few in the past...spitfires, tr3) but decided since I live in the mountains an old rover would be more fun. I have always liked them but don’t know a ton about them (well at least not as much as the folks on this forum). I am looking at a 67 IIa, safari top, same owner for the last 20 years. It has a rebuilt engine with 2k on it (I’m still waiting for an answer if it’s the original...I forgot to ask at the time), the tranny is og. All the electrical works (shocker), its registered runs and drives... but it’s been sitting for 5 years so it needs a mechanical overhaul. The frame and bulkhead are rot free only some light surface rust. The problem is the body panels need some serious attention.

Pics here:
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/iconclast_photos/Rover/ (http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/iconclast_photos/Rover/)

My question is... is in your opinion is this vehicle worth the 2k asking price. From the pictures do you see any deal breakers or any thing I should check before handing over the cash. I plan to build a solid driver, not do a full on restoration. I am good with my hands and can do most work myself which always cuts costs.

Thanks all... If this is a winner you will hear more from me.

LaneRover
10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
The only question I would ask is, "What happened to the bulkhead behind the front seats?"

But to be honest, a running Rover with a good bulkhead, good chassis AND with working electrics would be worth $2K.

Jim-ME
10-20-2008, 03:10 AM
I agree. It looks like a keeper to me.
Jim

Eric W S
10-20-2008, 05:22 AM
If the frame is solid, then it might be worth the 2k. It's been re-upholstered, but appears in fairly good condition. IF the frame is shot, then your looking at some serious cash to get one and install it. You could easily find a new center bulkhead.

Offer him 1k cash and see if he takes it...

Terrys
10-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Pics here:
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/iconclast_photos/Rover/ (http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/iconclast_photos/Rover/)

My question is... is in your opinion is this vehicle worth the 2k asking price.

That truck would be gone in a New York Minute if it were here in New England. 88 Safari top, banjo steering wheel, hell there's half the price right there.

BackInA88
10-20-2008, 07:59 AM
2K!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't want that!!
By the way just were in California is it?;)

Looks pretty good for 2K.
Tub front missing is a bummer.
Get a hammer on that frame they rust from the inside out, but if it spent it's whole life in California it should be solid.

Enjoy!

Steve

Terrys
10-20-2008, 08:32 AM
It's easier to swap out the whole tub then it is to put a bulkhead back, and there are plenty of them out there. Only depends on the skill of the person who took it out (Obviously did it to get more legroom). If the rivets were drilled, and it was taken out whole, then you simply do that with a sacrifical tub, and re-rivet it back into yours. That's what I would do if I found a POS tub, but if you find a good one, swap out the whole unit.

SafeAirOne
10-20-2008, 08:40 AM
You definintely want to examine the steel bits carefully. The chassis usually rots out from the inside. The outside can look fine but the inside can be flaking off tremendously. Look and feel (watch out for bees) the inside of the chassis through the larger holes on the bottom. Check the crossmembers and outriggers as well.

The bulkhead (firewall) is the other main bit of steel that is problematic. Check around the base of the windshield/windshield hinges, door hinges and the bottom of the doorpost. Tap it with a screwdriver and listen for a change in sound as you tap around. You'll know when you hit a thin, internally flaky part.

Check out this website--They spell it all out:

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

crankin
10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree. A good bulkhead and solid frame can certainly be worth $2,000. The tub front should not be too big of an issue because its basically just a sheet of aluminum with a couple of breaks in it...and you can find the galvanized pieces to complete it. Or you could modify it...example: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Bulkhead_Removal_Bar.html

I bought a SIII for $4k off of craigslist, that I really wish I would have went to see in person. The bulkhead is in rough shape ($1000-$1600) and the frame needs to be replaced ($2400-$3000). I have about 40 hours in the breakdown and another couple of grand to go before its all said and done. But i am repairing every thing and getting my guy a new paint job.

The plus side to all my woes is that I now know every inch and piece to my truck and will be able to diagnose any trouble areas when every they happen (I tell myself these things to keep positive).

I would certainly check it out, if its something that you really want to get into. From the pics it doesn't look bad. The drivers side does need to be banged out...but if you can live with it, its not bad.

Make sure that the frame and bulkhead are good. Don't be shy, crawl underneath it and check out every inch of the frame. Also, If the vents on the bulkhead are rusted through all the way around...you will have a time trying to repair them. There are a few series IIa bulkheads floating around...if you really need to replace it.

Check out whats underneath the plywood in the rear tub. You might be getting into a long ordeal if the supports underneath are rusted through. I say this because the supports are steal and make contact with the aluminum, which can "rust" through the floor. But it certainly can be repaired...with a few dozen rivets, new supports and a sheet of aluminum. The down side...you will a have to remove the tub from the frame.

Final thoughts, the least you will have to put in it is about $500 to replace the lights on the right front, break the metal for the tub and replace any items that might need to be fixed on the rear tub.

Also, engine? I did not see any pics of it. If you want original...a Chevy did not come with the series as an extra. So, check that out.

Jim-ME
10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I've come to the point where I can't keep quiet any longer. What could you get for $2000 in any other vehicle? You could part out that Rover and more than get your $ back. If you want a decent Rover you need to pay for it. If you want perfection then add at least a 1 in front of that asking price. I've come to the point that Rover people and gun people are the same. Cheap. Won't pay for what they want and expect others to help them out by giving stuff away.
Jim

Terrys
10-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Aside from the simple fact that you said the frame and bulkhead were sound, there are plenty of details in your pictures to indicate it's a good truck. I never pay any attention to beat body panels, as long as the bulkhead is sound. Outriggers are very easy to replace, so even a good frame with bad outriggers doesn't trouble me. The rear crossmember in your picrures looks very good, and since that starts to go well before the rest of it, I'd say you found a good one. Tubs are plentiful, early 2A wing skins a little less so, but bonnets are easy to find and the rest is all good. Even the galvy looks good enough to use as is.
I just recently picked up a '64 and apart from no tropical roof, is pretty much identical to your, albeit it was dissassembled (saved me a few hrs there. I was more than happy to give a little less than what your find will cost.

crankin
10-20-2008, 10:36 AM
I've come to the point where I can't keep quiet any longer. What could you get for $2000 in any other vehicle? You could part out that Rover and more than get your $ back. If you want a decent Rover you need to pay for it. If you want perfection then add at least a 1 in front of that asking price. I've come to the point that Rover people and gun people are the same. Cheap. Won't pay for what they want and expect others to help them out by giving stuff away.
Jim

Jim is right, You could part it out and get well over $2k for it.

Oh, that reminds me. I am looking for the four inch amber lights...anyone have any cheap? :D

Jim-ME
10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Crankin, Well said. I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumb-up:
Jim

jp-
10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Jim

What's this gun people stuff? I resent that. I spend a great deal on my guns, but I expect them to fire the dirt cheapest ammo that I can buy...

Does that make me cheap?

A good gun should be able to fire cheap ammo reliably and mildly accurately.:)

Jim-ME
10-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Has nothing to do with ammo. Has everything to do with the purchase price of the firearm, reloading components, ammo, and accessories.
Jim

ML-ENGR
10-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
Jim your right on. If I wanted a perfect one Id buy it... but working/rebuilding the vehicle is most of the fun for me. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt getting into too deep a money pit. I am going to see it again today and go over the frame again using SafeAirOnes link.

Also besides the obvious new parts places.. any links to second hand parts resalers or salvage yards that would have tubs, galv parts, etc.

Eric W S
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Also besides the obvious new parts places.. any links to second hand parts resalers or salvage yards that would have tubs, galv parts, etc.

www.pangolin4x4.com (http://www.pangolin4x4.com). Ike Goss. If anybody can find a odd part it will be Ike. He just found me a rbuild-able bulkhead for a 66 and will be restoring it for me in the near future.

Les at RN also can do wonders in locating parts.

www.lrx.com (http://www.lrx.com) also has some rare parts and folks with surplus series parts as well.

Eric W S
10-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Has nothing to do with ammo. Has everything to do with the purchase price of the firearm, reloading components, ammo, and accessories.
Jim

Two for two. You're on a roll. :thumb-up:

Glock would be an exception to the rule. Pretty rock solid platform at a very resonable price.