PDA

View Full Version : Other Favorite Vehicles

Jeff Aronson
10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Deep down I know that every Land Rover enthusiast appreciates great automobiles; the same qualities that attract you to Land Rovers also connect you with other significant cars and trucks.

For a planned article in the Rovers North News, I'd love to know vehicles you own as an enthusiast, and/or vehicles you wish you could own but can't right now. What makes them right for you?

You can post your thoughts on this thread, send me a PM, or email me directly at jrh@foxislands.net.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

10-26-2008, 11:02 PM
At the beginning of the year, I had to make a really tough decision; to get rid of my beloved Discovery and purchase another daily commuter. To replace it, I chose an old "cousin" of the marque... Mini. It's a great car for daily use and it can quickly become an even greater touring car when desired.

So far, I've only had it since March and have put 20000 miles on the clock (which is digital). I've loved every tenth of a mile driven! I quickly went from being an admirer to an enthusiast. My Brother in law is by his second one and I think I will always have a Mini parked next to a Rover in my garage.

P.S. Mine is the blue one. The oil stains in the picture are obviously the Disco's. :o

mick968
12-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Before the Rover I was(still am) Porschephyle(is that a word?).Had 6 variations over 25 yrs(still have a black 92' 968 coupe).Had Mercedes,Saabs.Wife has Audi TT quattro(hoot to drive).Always liked Landrovers(the guys that work on our other cars had the one I have now so I picked it up for the right price).I saw(I think on Discovery channel) a special a few years ago about the Landrover National Rally(somewhere in Colorado) that looked to be a good time.That was the whole reason I bought the one I have now.Spent a year getting it ready(best I could without really off roading-a lot of interaction on LR forums).Anyway,got my pick of fun automobiles to drive.

Danny Lee 97 Discovery
12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Favorites I have owned:

1986 MB420SEL Very Fine Roadcar,
1986.5 Porsche 928 32vavle 5.0,
1986 Volvo 240DL - A real Tank,
1979 Datsun 280ZX 2+2 sweet cruiser
1972 Gran Torino
1996 Bronco- last full size with 351
1976 Ramcharger Big Foot style big block with 33 inch MT's

Bill Fisher
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
When I was a child I would sit in my father's 1960 bug and pretend to drive. My father drove into the city to work daily and would park the bug where ever he would find a small spot that the bigger cars sould not fit into. After muscle cars in my teens I needed sensible transportation, a bug. I bought a few of them, but the best was the first Super Beetle, a 1971. The bug was fun to drive, easy to work on, hard to break, and parts were plentiful. After the bugs came a Rabbit GTI, which was fast and fun. After many other vehicles I found another sensible one, a Discovery (back when there was only 1), and bought it. I still have it because, like the bug and the Rabbit, it was good from the start.

Thanks for the opportunity to add my $.02.

Bill Fisher,
96 Disco SD
99 Disco SD
96 Ford SHO (wife's commuter)
96 Chrysler Concord LXI (other commuter)

BDM
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Great question. My top 10, in no particular order:

1. LR Series II (diesel)
2. Mazda RX7 - FB (Gen 1)
3. BMW E28 M5
4. 1972-3 Porche 911 coupe
5. Volkswagon Toureg V-10 Diesel
6. Any modern year Defender
7. Early Bronco, uncut
8. My 99 Disco (this should be at the top!)
9. 1967.5 Datsun 2000 Fairlady
10. 1966 Ford Mustang GT Fastback

To summarize, I appreciate and recognize all of these cars b/c of their excellent display of craftsmanship, unique performance, durability and in some cases their purely simplicity. The V-10 Toureg I adore, not for it's simplicity, but for it's amazing complexity, refinement, and brute strength. All of them possess a character of their own and IMHO are the culimination of engineering/craftsmanship of the brand....haha, well, the Disco may fall on the edges of the last one, but I love her nonetheless!!

Cheers,
Brendon

Joey4420
02-05-2009, 02:57 PM
WOW, this is originally an old post, but since I just joined and seen a new update.

Out of the 30 odd cars and trucks (not mentioning the ATC's, ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Street Bikes or Dune Buggies)

I love my 97 Disco the best and will always own a Rover of some sort. I just bought myself an 03 Jaguar XJ8, that so far is one of the nicest, funnest and most comfortable cars I have ever owned. But the car that I have yet to own and would love to get is a Lotus Exige, or an 1987 Esprit (last of the G cars)

Notice the drive toward British vehicles... rather odd, and for an Ohio raised American I am not sure where my fondness for British vehicles comes from, since my Parents never owned anything not built by the Big 3...