PDA

View Full Version : rubber muffler mounts

derek
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
It seems every 18 months or so I break these 3 stupid rubber muffler mounts

Would it be an issue to just connect them to the chassis with a thin stainless steel piece or do I need to worry about vibration and thats why they are flexible rubber?

jac04
10-22-2008, 09:40 PM
It seems every 18 months or so I break these 3 stupid rubber muffler mounts

Would it be an issue to just connect them to the chassis with a thin stainless steel piece or do I need to worry about vibration and thats why they are flexible rubber?

Use a piece of nylon tow strap. Cut it with a hot knife and put the holes in it using a hot screwdriver. Mine lasted for 16 years and were still going strong when I sold the vehicle.

greenmeanie
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
What are you doing with your truck? I've had a set on my 88 for 9+ years and I think the ones on my 101 are original from 1976 judging by the underseal goop the MOD put on everything. I take it you have the little bushings that act as spacers for the bolts. If you don't use them then the rubber will tear.

Cheers
Gregor

pvkd
10-25-2008, 11:25 PM
I agree with Greenmeanie, my mounts have lasted years. I would question the application. The wear rate suggests something else is wrong.

Paul

jac04
10-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I could't seem to get a set to last more than a few months, and I know they were installed correctly.

Tim Smith
10-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I had the same issue and couldn't get the standard rubber bushings to work. I ended up with bailing wire as a side of the road fix that lasted for more than a year but finally fixed it with some generic exhaust hangers from my local parts place.

It's been holding for a good 3 months now and I don't see any signs of failure in the future.
:)

jp-
10-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Quality of rubber has been steadily going down.

I like the tow strap idea.

Jeff Aronson
10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I've installed several exhaust systems on my II-A over 18 years of ownership and use - thank you, salted roads in northern New England.

I have experienced a few instances in which the rubber supports do not seem to hold up well. Once I did let the metal bushings slip out upon installation and that's exactly where something tore. On another occasion, I found that I had not installed the metal strap at the correct angle, so that there was a constant tug on the rubber - and that's where it wore out. One time, one wore out rather quickly and Rovers North sent me another one free.

Overall, though, I must respectfully disagree that this is a constant problem. Using metal will only increase the chance of corrosion eating away at the exhaust pipes. It also means that you negate the vibration absorption of the rubber pieces; it does not make sense as they really help the longevity of the exhaust.

Check the angle of your hangers and rubber pieces so everything has the chance to work properly.

Jeff