PDA

View Full Version : Military Headlight Buckets

jac04
10-26-2008, 09:27 AM
The military headlights on my Lightweight are in excellent condition with the exception of the 3 little spring-loaded adjusters on each bucket (several are stripped and quite rusted). Does anyone know if the Wipac buckets will work with the rest of the military parts? If not, what are my available options for replacing those spring-loaded adjusters?
Thanks, Jeff.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1081.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1082.jpg

leafsprung
10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Drill it out and tack weld a small piece of tubing that you have threaded to the bucket, or find a rivnut to match the thread. The MOD and civvy buckets are pretty much the same.

jac04
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
FYI:
The military headlight buckets are different from their civilian counterparts. The adjusters are longer due to the military style headlight bezels. I was lucky enough to get the last NOS military headlight bucket assembly that Rovers North had.

leafsprung
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
The actual buckets can be used in either assembly . . . The bezels and hardware can easily be swapped. You could have just as easily used a civvy one. I even have one Id have been happy to give you. But it sounds like you lucked out. :thumb-up: In the future, if you have problems a rivnut or two would do the trick and save you a bundle.

jac04
10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
True, but part of my problem is the adjuster springs, which are a different length. I also found that one of my outermost bezels had taken a good hit at some point and then been straightened, so it was cracked. Yes, I lucked out in getting the NOS assembly.

scatterling
10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
I replaced my buckets - also rusted - with the WIPAC ones and replaced the headlights with the ones from Hella. Works just fine. Kept the setup 24 volt and used relays with both hi and low beams. Amazing I can actually see at night now

leafsprung
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
There is a separate part number for the springs. I cant recall what it is, but its in the military parts catalog. I donno if you can still get them. You can make do with civvy springs if you need to. I suppose you could also match one up at the hardware and cut to length. At the end of the day there are lots of ways to skin a cat. Making a phone call and having brown santa drop off a new assembly is probably the easiest . . .if only you could get them to install it too :D

jac04
10-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the info. I ordered the military parts catalog for future reference. I also have a set of Hella headlights that I will be installing.