PDA

View Full Version : Diff Identification

Daurie
10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Where on the rear diff housing should I look for some ID numbers? Just trying to figure somethng out here. Thanks!

Mercedesrover
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
I've seen numbers on a couple of them but most are rusty enough you won't see them. What are you trying to figure out?

Daurie
10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Jim thanks for the quick response. I'm not really trying to figure out anything too important. I was looking through the S3 Parts Catalogue and noticed different suffix diffs and looking at the minor changes in parts. I got curious and just started looking for a number on it. Mine isn't rusty at all really but mostly covered with some type of undercoating. It's a greenish blue color underneath and it has a fill plug on the diff housing. It also has a flat section with 2 bolt holes on the bottom right behind the pinion seal/drive flange. So long story short seeing the different suffix diffs just got me curious.

Thanks

jp-
10-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I've had good luck reading my diff numbers. All were visible after using a wire wheel to remove the rust and mud. Located on the long side of the tube, can't remember if it's on the front or back.