PDA

View Full Version : Guinness and the Rover Gods

JSalyer
01-03-2007, 04:23 AM
A note for my fellow Roverphiles:rolleyes: .....

I have always found that when dealing with Rovers that have a questionable history:sly: (ie probably owned by soccer mommies, lawyers out to impress, children of the rich and famous) and distinct lack of maintenance in their past it pays off well to make offerings to the Rover Gods before working on the Rover in question.......

You will find Rover ownership is a religious experience in itself!!!

There is nothing like laying on your back in freezing water in January, with a 2' breaker bar in hand trying to loosen the filler plug of an 87 RR Classic that last had said filler plug out in 1987 as the bloke in Sollihull installed it the first time. As said breaker bar slips and the hand and arm come in contact with various parts of the suspension:eek: (large and overengineered too!!) at an amazing amount of speed, words of religious importance flow like holy water.......... the neighbors will believe that a midwest hellfire and damnation revival is going on 3 miles away......

Or similarly, you spend all week working in the dash to rectify the corroded connections, bad grounds, and all the other electrical gremlins, only to proudly take your signifigant other "out in the Rover" to dinner and the orchestra(of course wearing your only suit, all your other clothing is oily jeans, and Rover tshirts) only to have the evil "Prince of Darkness" close in on you on the interstate, and the Rover slowly grinds to a halt, of course the flashers dont work either:confused: .......

Soooo.............

Me and my fellow Rover gearheads have found a liberal dosing of Liquid wrench(most importantly; applied for 7 days in a row!!)on the suspect part, followed by the sacrifice of a bottle of generic motor oil(Napa silver 10w40 is .95 cents/qt.), and a Pint of Guiness goes a long way to pleasing these Rover Gods:D .

If the above fails to help the pain of ownership, the Liquid wrench can start one heck of a fire on a cold night on the trailhead, the oil can be put in almost weekly without fear of overfilling, and the Guiness; well I think you know what to do with that.......

:thumb-up: Cheers,
Jack of Bavaria

landi41
01-03-2007, 04:43 AM
It takes Courage to be different :)

JSalyer
01-05-2007, 11:13 AM
:eek: :eek: I MISPELLED GUINNESS-I AM WAITING FOR BOTH OF MY ROVERS TO BURST INTO FLAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSR53
01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I fixed the spelling in the thread title. All good to go now, no worries.

Buddy
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
At least you didn't misspell Rover!

Mudley N. Grimey
01-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Fat Tire is easier to spell and tastes much better and doesn't have to be consumed warm.

singingcamel
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
:thumb-up: Liquid wrench??? Thats Busch light isn''t it...:D

BarryO
03-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Fat Tire is easier to spell and tastes much better and doesn't have to be consumed warm.

It's embarrassing that a fellow Oregonian would say that. ;) We're supposed to be more beer-savvy than that.

That weak Colorado swill was carried in alot of places for a while, I guess due to a big marketing campaign. Thankfully, it seems to have retreated.

When you have Oregon-brewed ambrosia like Bridgeport IPA around, there's no excuse for bad out-of-state beer.

Oh yea, love draft Guinness, too (but never in bottles). 'best consumed sitting in a pub in Ireland.

landrover77
03-15-2007, 06:54 AM
I prefer a black and tan. The tan being good ole Long Trail Ale
Possibly Vermonts best beer, and a nice smooth/dark Guiness to boot!

Working on my Rover and having a B&T in the spring warm air of
New England! (wishful thinking)

TSR53
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Well, it's not quite warm spring up here yet... But since you guys want to talk about beer - kewl!

Living in Northern Vermont we have a plethora of breweries to sample from. My personal *local favourite Vermont brew* is of course Trout River Scottish Ale. (http://www.troutriverbrewing.com/mozilla/sa.phtml)

But, my hands down all time favourite brew is McEwan's Scotch Ale.

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/images/245style-mcewans.jpg

"McEwan's Scotch Ale Brewed by Scottish Courage Ltd. in Edinburgh, originally by appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Reddish brown in color, with caramel, cherry, apple, treacle aromas. Th`e flavor is lightly smoky, with a soft buttery background and a creamy malt finish. The aroma intensifies as it warms and has a light sherry note. 8 percent ABV."

Be careful of this potent elixer, you might get your spanners mixed with your gas grips. A bloody knuckles club soother fur sur :gulp:.

Mudley N. Grimey
03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
BarryO: For more potent brews, I prefer some from our own Rogue Brewery. My favorite is Dead Guy Ale, buy I'm not much for porters.

TSR53: Haven't seen any McEwan's out here on the Best Coast. Mail me a bottle and I'll mail you a Dead Guy. Not as dark, but still flavorful.

greenmeanie
03-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh the marketing drama!

No true Scotsman would ever refer to that as Scotch Ale. Back home that would be asked for as 'a pint of special' and would never be consumed from a bottle as it might be used to glass someone afterwards. The alternate brew would be 'a pint of heavy'. Both go well with lunch prior to proceeding with the rest of the day.

My preference in a Scottish Ale is Belhaven or if you want something a bit differnent get a hold of some Fraoch Heather Ale. Ah memories of sitting in the sunshine outside the pub in Glen Coe after a hard day's hill climbing.

Cheers
Gregor

TSR53
03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I just called by the label. Yes true, it sould really be a "Wee Heavy".

As far as finding it out here in Vermont? I'd love to find it. I've had my brother ship it to me from Lake Tahoe where I used to live :thumb-up:. Christmas gifts are one thing, but opening a brown box with some McEwans in it adds a whole 'nother dimension to the word *gift*. I'll try finding the other brands you listed. I would love to experience Scotland and all the fine things it offers. Someday I'll trace my down my Day and Fraser roots.

Oh the marketing drama!

No true Scotsman would ever refer to that as Scotch Ale. Back home that would be asked for as 'a pint of special' and would never be consumed from a bottle as it might be used to glass someone afterwards. The alternate brew would be 'a pint of heavy'. Both go well with lunch prior to proceeding with the rest of the day.

My preference in a Scottish Ale is Belhaven or if you want something a bit differnent get a hold of some Fraoch Heather Ale. Ah memories of sitting in the sunshine outside the pub in Glen Coe after a hard day's hill climbing.

Cheers
Gregor

daveb
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
BLASPHEMY!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Mudley N. Grimey
04-08-2007, 09:52 PM
That it's cold or tastes better, both of which apply. We in the West don't drink warm beer, because we don't have Lucas refrigerators.