PDA

View Full Version : Coil Sprung Series

Drain Rovers2
10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi guys,
I'm doing a 1966 2a 88' pickup. frame up restoration and i am making it coil sprung, i just bought the axles and i pulled them off of a classic(a late one) and got the springs too. i was wondering if you guys had any info on tips and pointers for this build.

P.S if any of you want to show me somthing i will be at forrests rally in november and i live down the road so you can talk to me then too.

Thanks,

Leslie
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
:D

Couple of thoughts, questions, whatever you wanna call 'em.....

A) Did you swap over to a Designa chassis, where you have a Series chassis that's modified for being a coil-sprung suspension; or are you keeping the original chassis then altering it for the suspension; OR, have you switched to a coil-sprung chassis, then modified it to fit the Series body to it?

B) Since you're using axles off of a coil-sprung vehicle (an RRC?), you'll have 3.54 diffs then, instead of the 4.7's (unless you swap them back in). What engine are you going to be using? Do you need to go back to the 4.7's to have it usable on the road w/ a 4-banger, or are you going to have something else that can make good use of the 3.54s on the highway?

That's a start....... :)

Drain Rovers2
10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I am going to switch back to the series diffs im using the axles off a RRC and im using the standared 2.25 rover engine and tranni and i want to swap it over to a designa chassis i dont want to have the headache of modifying the RRC or the series frame.
what do ya think

Leslie
10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Ok.... Designa chassis gets you the coiler axles w/ the Series body without having to fabricate, the 4.7 diffs will keep the 2.25 usable......

Is your end-result goal to have a vehicle that's a more-comfortable vehicle that can be a daily driver, or, are you wanting to have something that's improved/competitive for serious offroad use?

What size wheels/tires are you planning? If you're staying around the 7.5x16 or 235/85R16 size, not a deal, but if you're wanting to go larger, you might consider stronger diffs and axles.

Drain Rovers2
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Im going to use the Designa chassis with RRC axles 32' tire probablly and a more comfotable daily driver for sure but finding that even balance between great off roading and a daliy driver will be the key. disc brakes is abig thing too, comfort like you said and of corse good off roading and flex.. stronger diffs would be good but they wont increse my road speed will they? and besides i really cant go that fast with a 2.25 any way.:thumb-up:

Leslie
10-28-2008, 10:58 PM
If you were going for more of a hard-core off-roader, I'd have really suggested stronger diffs and possibly a locking diff, but the locking isn't as important for a daily driver.

I did have a thought..... your 4.7's are probably 10-spline, whereas the axles in the coiler axles are 24-spline.... something's gonna have to change, FWIW..... (use the 4.7 gears, but converted over for the 24-splines?)

So, you may still want to consider upgrading axles, at least. (the 10-spline are known to simply pop, even backing out of the driveway, even w/ the 2.25 engine.....)

235/85R16 is about a 32" tire, so you should be fine w/ them. AT or MT?

CliftonRover
10-29-2008, 12:14 AM
ethan I could help you change the coiler chassis to fit the series, the designa or whatever chassis are expensive aren't they? you could always do the 24 splines later. I figure holland sold you 10 spline, but im not sure. stop up to my house this weekend, sat morning I am working on the madison guy's 109 pick up. so come check it out.

Leslie
10-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Sounds like you've got some great help nearby! :thumb-up:

Didn't think about, but yes, earlier RRCs could have 10-spline, that would solve the 10/24 spline compatibility issue, if the ones in-hand are also 10 spline.

I have to agree, Designa chassis aren't cheap. Would be a clean way to swap over, though, w/o fab work, but, yeah, it'd be pricey. The original frame can have the coil mounts welded on, though, would be a lot cheaper...... FWIW.....

Drain Rovers2
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
leslie,
I think that i may buy a 94" RRC ( the one that i was going to pull the axles off of in the first place.) its not going to be expensive 200$ and i get a whole truck! I figured i would shorten the frame it is going to be the same shape after i shorten it to 88' right? and then the only things that i will have to modefy are the engine & tranny mounts ( the engine is shot in the one i might buy) and some mounts for the tub, seat box and firewall right/
Thanks

Leslie
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
That'd work; yup, I've seen RRC's turned into "Defenders" before...... relocated the motor mounts, add the outriggers for the bulkhead and gastank...... oh, and a rear crossmember, too.....

Drain Rovers2
10-29-2008, 03:34 PM
What do you mean i need the series rear cross member or can i just weld on those tabs to hold on to the tub... Is that the one your talking about:confused:
The shape and bends in the frame should be the same once i shorten it right?
Thanks,

Leslie
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
The shape and the bends are okay, not a deal....

If you look at the back of a Series, the rear-crossmember is a key part of the appearance. On the ones I've seen done, what we did was take one of the replacement crossmembers and merge it onto the back of the RRC chassis. The back end of the RRC chassis, where the bumper bolts to, is a bit further forward for the rear-tub, putting the replacement crossmember on there brought it out to where those tabs are, and makes it look more like a Series.

Alternatively, you could make a replica of it, and put it on there, just to support the tabs, w/o using a replacement one. Or, you could even just use a square channel, w/ more of the military look. Do something custom. Whatever you like.

Drain Rovers2
10-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Leslie,
I know this sounds bad but now i am thinking against the coil sprung idea because of the headaches i already have. I think that i will go with RRC axles with leaf springs if i cant find an already modified chassis. it will work i think though becuase forrest did it with disco axles under a series 2a 109 Tdi and it worked...:confused:
Thanks,

Leslie
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I didn't mean to completely discourage you, just let you know what to expect.

Sure, you can put the coiler axles on a leaf spung truck, but you'll have to add spring perches to the axle tubes.

CliftonRover
10-30-2008, 02:37 AM
ethan stick with the coiler chassis, its not that bad, I will be doing the exact same thing in a few weeks (except not shortening the frame). It will be a nice thing to save the frame money, and you can get the rear cross member or "bumper" of a series from rovers north.

Drain Rovers2
10-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I am gung ho for it but when dad says no because we dont have room in the garage for any more parts for my truck then i just go under, but i am going to try hard for it its something i realy want to do and hope to do but i dont know what the future holds, and u didnt discurage me leslie u gave me a ton of info so ill keep ya posted!!!:thumb-up:
Thanks,

yorker
11-11-2008, 08:15 AM
buy this DVD http://www.a-4x4-is-born.com/

It is a pretty good conversion of a RRC to a 100" Defender- the series would be similar in many ways. Even though the DVD is a european product it works in US players. I think I bought my copy used for $10 on Ebay.uk.

it is good enough that RN or someone should sell it over here(hint hint)

rwollschlager
11-19-2008, 09:29 PM
This also may or may not help...

http://burlington.craigslist.org/pts/916139364.html

CliftonRover
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
that is an incredible deal, i wish i hadn't already started a project.