PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Steering Wheel Situation

SafeAirOne
10-28-2008, 09:30 PM
After 35 years of handling, my Ser III steering wheel has lost its varnish/sealant on the entire hand grip circle. I don't mind that EXCEPT:

When the humidity is high or it's raining outside, the black plastic absorbs the moisture in the air and becomes a goopy, sticky mess. I've taken to using rubber gloves on humid/rainy days or steering using the spokes, which still have the sealant/varnish on them.

When the air dries out, the wheel hardens too, leaving my handprints in the wheel until the next rainy day.

Anyone have a way to re-seal or otherwise cure my problem, short of buying a new wheel? I prefer not to wrap the steering wheel with a Wal-Mart naugahide steering wheel cover, if I can help it.

yorker
10-28-2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.stickysteeringwheel.html

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/NL.MRAJRnov97.html

Leslie
10-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Aw dash it, I can't find it.......

Once upon a time..... I remember reading (I thought it was in the LR anti-FAQ, but it's not there).....

A hypothesis that the Land Rover steering wheel was made of....... vulcanized sheep poo ? ? ? It was a riot to read......

Linus Tremaine
10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I put a steering wheel cover on mine. I decided it would be nice if it had more padding, so I put on another one. The series wheels are pretty thin and on those marathon drives across several states, it really helps to have something softer to grab.

SafeAirOne
10-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Linus, Thanks. I'm kind of partial to the thin grip surface--Don't know why, just a personal preference I guess.

Leslie, If you come across that piece on the interweb again, I'd love to see it--I can certainly relate!

Yorker, Thanks for the links--I was thinking about going the "sand-and-repaint" route, but was under the impression that skin oil would end up dissolving the paint and I'd be in the same situation except with paint thrown into the mix. After reading the testimonial, it seems this might work.

Leslie
10-29-2008, 07:22 AM
FWIW.......

I had some cracks on mine, I filled w/ epoxy, let it cure, then sanded. Then I painted the whole thing w/ krylon, and after it was dry, sanded it, repainted, then sanded again.... never quite got it as glossy smooth as I wanted, but, smooth enough, so, I laid a couple more final coats on it, laid it up for a couple of weeks to ensure it was cured out.....

My biggest problem is half the time, I'm fiddlin' on something w/ greasy hands, jump in there for a moment then back out, go clean up and then hop in it to go somewhere, and there I am w/ grease back on my hands, where I'd gotten a bit on the steering wheel.....

FWIW, I'm thinkin' about adding a steering wheel cover too.... think it would also aid to obscure the imperfections under the paint......

I'll try to locate that article again......

Jim-ME
10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Ike Goss offers a great leather steering wheel cover. I really like mine.
Jim

greenmeanie
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I did the krylon trick and it held up for 5 years or so. If you want a more expensive version POR15 sells a steering wheel restoration kit with there version of fancy epoxy and paint. Don't know how well it works though.

Hormel
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Ike Goss offers a great leather steering wheel cover. I really like mine.
Jim

I would also highly recommend this cover. It is really thin and does not add much bulk to the steering wheel so it retains the nice thin look. Best to set aside a few hours for sewing it on, but it is worth it.
John

SafeAirOne
10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks--I might check into the steering wheel cover after I seal up the wheel. Looks like paintng it is the way to go. I wish I could remember what your steering wheel/steering wheel cover looks like, Jim....

Hormel
10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
This is how mine turned out. Biggest issue was deciding where to put the seam.
John

Jim-ME
10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Mark,
I'll get a picture in a day or so if you'd like.
Jim

SafeAirOne
10-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Mark,
I'll get a picture in a day or so if you'd like.
Jim

Thanks Jim,

If yours is like Hormel's then I should be all set, since he just posted a photo. If it's different, I wouldn't mind seeing it. Thanks again.

Jim-ME
10-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Mark,
They are the same.
Jim