PDA

View Full Version : Help evaluating the frame

r50us68
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Hello
New to the forum, and just starting to look at Series Rovers that may be added to the household
I have some pictures from the seller of the underside, and was wondering if anyone with a good eye might see some problems that would indicate that the frame would need attention/replacement
here are some links,

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/underjpg.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/under2jpg.jpg

The truck is a few hours away, and I am not ready to take on a frame replacement project yet, so any help would be great.

LaneRover
10-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Well, the springs are separating and in the 2nd picture just above the spring perch it looks like a bit of potentially nasty rust. It could be surface rust and paint flaking off but you would have to look at it and poke around with a hammer or big screwdriver to really find out.

In the first pic you have a funky plate between the engine and the transmission. Not sure why that is there. It could be nothing and the guy put it there for some sort of protection but it also could be there to hide something.

my 2¢

Brent

LaneRover
10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
It also looks like the oil pan came in pretty heavy contact with a rock - or two.

r50us68
10-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing that there is no good place to have "major rust"
But would this area near the spring pirtch be an extra bad area to have rust?
If I move forward with this, I'm sure there will be some acceptable level of Rust, and just wondering were the fatal spots were I need to walk away or even run?

Bostonian1976
10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
take a hammer and screwdriver to the frame - some of the rust in the 2nd pic looks potentially very bad

leafsprung
10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Your pictures are lousy. You cant tell much from them.

Linus Tremaine
10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
The frame of a land rover is too important an area to skip over. Its a very good idea to seek help from more experienced folks, but there isnt enough there to give us any idea of whats going on. Spending a few extra minutes verifying that the frame is sound will save you hours and alot of money in the future.

Get some proper pictures and we will help you get a proper truck.

badvibes
10-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Where is the truck located? The dry desert of the southwest or the northeast coast where winter roads get salted? I'd also check out the rear crossmember closely.

Jeff

CliftonRover
10-30-2008, 02:26 AM
I see that same spot on the second pic infront of the spring mount. also the rear axle has a good amount of rust, meaning the rest of the frame may not be too far off. I have done 7 frame ups, it is not that difficult, no special tools needed. but the other parts of the frame i was able to see did not look bad so it could just be patched for a while (years).

BackInA88
10-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Looks like the owner found the best pictures with the least information about the frame.
If you asked him for pictures of the frame and this is what he sent, run away, he knows what not to show and there maybe a good reason.

Rineheitzgabot
10-30-2008, 06:42 AM
I agree with the two above...

If you want opinions from us, there will have to be more detail in the pix.

Take several photos. Use a flash. Get side views, from underneath, on top of the horns in the front, rear crossmember, many from underneath though--including outriggers (members that protrude off of the side of the main tubes).

I also agree with the sentiment, that this is too important to just, "deal with later". I would REALLY look this frame over. I am also suspicious of the big guard. Guards like this can hide things, and it doesn't even have to be intentional on the owner's part.

Good luck.

SafeAirOne
10-30-2008, 07:02 AM
The truck is a few hours away, and I am not ready to take on a frame replacement project yet, so any help would be great.

I've driven 6 hours to see a rover before (not) buying it. Take the 2 hour drive. Nobody can make an assessment of the chassis based on photos (especially the photos you provided) unless the thing is obvoiulsy destroyed. 2 hours of time and gas is a small price to pay and you'll know for sure.

Check out/print this before you go:

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

Good Luck!

crankin
10-30-2008, 07:37 AM
I would agree that you need to take the time to drive and see it for yourself. The outriggers and horns might be in bad shape...as well check the motor and transmission mounts, if you can. If the mounts are bad you might have to drop everything to replace them...which can be a pretty big job.

greenmeanie
10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
It has an interesting mod to the spring plates. Between those and that funky plate under the bell housing and the exhaust I would say you are in for some fun figuring out the PO mods. My only guess is that these mods point to the truck being used hard off road.

r50us68
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
It is a 67 iia with what looks to be a ii breakfast, so lights on the wings and holes for lights in the breakfast
Overdrive, FWH, safari roof, full roof rack with ladder, and a cut out in front passenger wing that appears to be an upgraded heater opening. Interior looks clean, and no great big holes in the firewall.
Currently running with insurance, In the Northwest
The engine is an AMC 232 (3.8l) with about 38k
The price is right , but its a 5+ hour drive.
So without the questionable frame it looks great. But I am not prepared to do a frame replacement. (Time and space)
I have asked for more pictures.

LaneRover
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM
My only guess is that these mods point to the truck being used hard off road.

The dents in the oil pan and on the transmission and Engine crossmembers also point to quite a bit of offroad use.

My guess is that the 'plate' between the engine and the transmission is there because the AMC engine didn't completely cover the opening in the bellhousing and the plate was put there to keep crap from getting in back in there. I have a 58 with a V-6 somebody put in that has about 1/3 of the flywheel showing because of a similar situation.

I agree that more/better pics are in order and nothing beats actually going to see the Rover. The 10 hours (there and back) of driving may save you from finding out that the frame DOES need to be replaced even though the additional pics you get looked OK.

gudjeon
10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
My experience with frames is that it is about five fold worse than what it looks like once you start to prod and use the grinder. If the frame is not sound, and it sounds like there has been major mods (engine etc). then for your sake, I hope its priced right should you consider it.

My 2 cents CAN

r50us68
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Here are some more pictures of the frame

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/under4jpg.jpg

r50us68
10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Here are some more pictures of the frame

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/under4jpg.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/under6jpg.jpg

and the of the top of the frame

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/rover2jpg.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/r50us68/rover/rover3jpg.jpg

HybridIIA
10-30-2008, 07:07 PM
The diamond plate rear cross member isn't a good sign.

ArlowCT
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I can't believe that no one spotted that the oil pan was not a 2.25 pan!!!!:eek:

Looks like it could be a fun truck to play in the woods with but you never know. From the photos the frame could be shot.... but it could also be good, I've had a few surprise me before.

Good Luck.

SafeAirOne
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
You know....I can't tell if it's just the camera angle or an optical illusion, but does the rear wheel seem a little high in the well, like there's a heavy load in the rear tub?

Other than that, I still don't think you can accurately asses the chassis condition from the photos--You can only see if it is worth the drive to examine in person. I do know that the transmission crossmember has seen some rough service. This is probably the strongest crossmember on the truck, too.

I suspect that this truck WASN'T driven by a little old lady who only used it to get milk at the market on Sundays.

SafeAirOne
10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I can't believe that no one spotted that the oil pan was not a 2.25 pan!!

Yeah. It looks like an AMC 232 (3.8l) with about 38k oil pan.:D

sayers
11-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Fromthe photos I would have to conclude that you are going to have some major $ tied up in this lr if you want to rebuilt or having it running the way most of us land rover owners would.

Bostonian1976
11-01-2008, 05:51 PM
You know....I can't tell if it's just the camera angle or an optical illusion, but does the rear wheel seem a little high in the well, like there's a heavy load in the rear tub?

that's probably worn-out springs like mine