PDA

View Full Version : WTB: SIII Dash Top

Apis Mellifera
10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Condition not that important, but needs to have some of the foam left. I'm thinking about making a vacuum forming machine to make a dash cover for SIIIs. I can't believe Coverlay doesn't make one.

Leslie
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
FWIW.......

W/ my SIII, I bought black marine-grade vinyl at a local fabric shop. Used apolstery adhesive, wrapped the thing.... the back end is hidden against the bulkhead, and the ends are hidden by the end caps. There was a bit of a chip out of the padding where the old vinyl was cracked, that I filled w/ kitty-hair first.

Where I would have liked a vacuum machine was on the lower dash, not the upper.... the corners are a bit complex, and the marine-grade vinyl I had was backed.... if I had backless vinyl and more heat, or vacuum, it would have been cleaner.... as it was, I had to pick a spot for a seam.

SafeAirOne
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Where I would have liked a vacuum machine was on the lower dash, not the upper.... the corners are a bit complex, and the marine-grade vinyl I had was backed.... if I had backless vinyl and more heat, or vacuum, it would have been cleaner.... as it was, I had to pick a spot for a seam.

I agree- someone needs to figure out a way to replace the black vinyl on the SIII windshield wiper motor cover.

Apis Mellifera
10-30-2008, 10:59 AM
My lowers are intact, but maybe I'll (try to) make those too. I just want an extra top for sake of ease of the experiment. The lowers come off pretty easy, the wiper motor cover anyway.

I have a Coverlay on my MGB and did the vinyl on a Midget I had. It would be faster and easier to use a Coverlay-type thing.

Leslie
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I recovered the lower dash and the wiper motor cover, and the only way I could do it w/ the vinyl I found was to have a short vertical seam from that 3-way facet, straight up from there. I now need to find a way to "neaten up" that seam. The upper dash was a piece of cake by comparison.

dmurrell
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Has anyone tried Just Dashes to see if they'd do it?

http://justdashes.com/

I'm starting my project and was thinking they might be a good source for refurbishing my dash .....