PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury HD axle flanges

109 Pretender
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Anyone know if HD 6 hole drive flanges are avail. for the series Salisbury rear axle? I talked w/Bill @ GBR and he was getting them from Maxi-drive before owner retired. Bill is going to have his axle manufacturer in SLC tool up sometime in future for these because exchange/shipping rates are unfavorable right now. I've ck'd Ashcroft and others - but all I'm finding is the newer style 5 hole HD flanges.

Thanks guys

I Leak Oil
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Well that's a bummer about GBR not having any. I was thinking of getting a set myself soon. If you get any leads please post it!
Jason T.

leafsprung
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I can probably make some if you have enough interest.

I Leak Oil
11-02-2008, 02:02 PM
We need to have a few more people interested in these to have a custom batch made. Anyone with a salisbury rear....the drive flange is the weak link on these axles. You know you NEED a set!
Jason T.

Linus Tremaine
11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Im interested in a set

SafeAirOne
11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
....the drive flange is the weak link on these axles. You know you NEED a set!
Jason T.

FWIW, I'm thankful that my drive flange broke instead of holding up and breaking an axle or other hard part. As I recall, the replacement flange was only $21.00 from my source, and about 5 minutes to swap. I now carry a spare or two.

leafsprung
11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm thankful that my drive flange broke instead of holding up

I love rover owners. :D

yorker
11-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Oh come on it is an engineered failure point isn't it? ;) Just like 10 spline axles on 88s...

leafsprung
11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Dont forget the oil lines on the coilsprung trucks:thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
11-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Well...let me rephrase that...I wish nothing failed, but I'd rather have had the driven flange fail than the axle shaft (or worse) fail. I haven't yet come across anyone that would rather have it the other way 'round! :D

yorker
11-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Dont forget the oil lines on the coilsprung trucks

Ohhh yeah I forgot about thoise- but then again I have tried to do my best to avoid those coilsprung things... the '89 I have is an anomoly- I don't think I'll ever own another- if I do it won't have the 3.9l, ZF-nor those lame oil lines...:thumb-up:

Wasn't someone making torque limiting hibs for LR's once? I thought it was kind of a funny idea when I ran across them some time back. Maybe a shear pin on the driveshaft would work. :D

leafsprung
11-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd rather have had the driven flange fail than the axle shaft (or worse) fail.

You are making the assumption that something else would fail instead.

SafeAirOne
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
You are making the assumption that something else would fail instead.

You are correct, Sir! Though I understand your point...the Dana 60 diff/axles are a whole lot stronger than their rover counterparts, making the hub the weak link. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any stories of anyone breaking thier Salisbury axles. Not even the 10-spline inner portion. Having said this, I'm sure a bunch of folks will post their broken Salisbury axle stories. ;)

Getting back toward the original topic, I'm wondering what makes one driven hub "heavy duty" compared to others...The usual failure mode is to strip the splines off the inside of the driven hub, presuming that my hub failure was typical. If you can't change the spline dimensions/count, what's left? Harder metal? More spline contact along the axle length?

daveb
11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
put me in line for a set.

btw my salisbury axle is 24 spline both ends. I think they are all this way.

You are correct, Sir! Though I understand your point...the Dana 60 diff/axles are a whole lot stronger than their rover counterparts, making the hub the weak link. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any stories of anyone breaking thier Salisbury axles. Not even the 10-spline inner portion. Having said this, I'm sure a bunch of folks will post their broken Salisbury axle stories. ;)

Getting back toward the original topic, I'm wondering what makes one driven hub "heavy duty" compared to others...The usual failure mode is to strip the splines off the inside of the driven hub, presuming that my hub failure was typical. If you can't change the spline dimensions/count, what's left? Harder metal? More spline contact along the axle length?

I Leak Oil
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Alright we're up to 4 sets so far. Keep the interest coming as we need a few more sets to make this work.
Jason T.

JimCT
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
We broke a Salisbury axle on our '68 ambulance/camper, replaced it and the hubs with ones from GBR, and years later everything is fine. They do break! Jim

SafeAirOne
11-03-2008, 06:33 PM
btw my salisbury axle is 24 spline both ends. I think they are all this way.

Yeah--I was thinking of my front axles--10 inner 24 outer. My Salisbury is 24 both ends also.

leafsprung
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm wondering what makes one driven hub "heavy duty" compared to others...

Better material

109 Pretender
11-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Gang,
I've gotta ck w/Bill sometime this week because he has my Salisbury ready to ship and I'll mention that several of us here want to get the HD flanges. The HD units Maxi-drive had were made from better material (tougher/harder) and the broaching was very tight on the splines. I imagine GBR will build as good or better. I'll try to get specific material specs. etc. Maybe the interest will get him fired up a little faster!

I purchased an ARB back cover for the axle. It's heavy nodular cast iron - w/ a dipstick!:D Designed to increase case strength ( I don't need that really..) and provide built in rock protection - (I want that). Only bad thing is it's powder coated red!

Steve

Eric W S
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Why are checking with Bill when it appears as if people are interested in having Ike make the flanges?

109 Pretender
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Why are checking with Bill when it appears as if people are interested in having Ike make the flanges?

Well Eric,
I guess because as stated in my orig. thread, Bill is going to tool up for these sometime soon... However, I have no problem buying from Ike or whoever can make them to a high specification (better material, tighter clearancing on splines). I certainly want a set and I would commit to a set if someone wants to tool up for a small run of HD flanges.

cheers!