PDA

View Full Version : Painting over POR15

crankin
10-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I am planning on POR15-ing over my bulkhead before I paint it.

POR15's website suggests using a primer that they sell before painting.
Is this really necessary?

Jim-ME
10-31-2008, 03:23 AM
The primer they sell is an etch primer that allows paint to stick to the POR underpaint. If you are going to spend the money to use the POR I'd use their primer as well. I have been using both and haven't been disappointed.
Jim

Terrys
10-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Conversely, I can tell you that without the primer, paint will peel off in a nice sheet.

Leslie
10-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Or, galvanize the bulkhead instead of POR.....

crankin
10-31-2008, 08:01 AM
I thought about galvanizing it. However, I used some 16 gauge to replace the breaks on the vent area (the thinner stuff broke the angles better) and I am a little worried that the dip hitting 800+ degrees will cause the metal to warp a little too much for my liking.

Momo
11-02-2008, 01:59 AM
POR is good stuff but will peel if the prep is wrong. Eastwood makes a similar product that is very good.

I wouldn't worry too much about galvanizing the bulkhead. I've seen several that came out fine. The main problems seem to be slag that accumulates and holes that get filled that shouldn't get filled. Around the vents, the run of the steel is short enough that I don't think you need be too concerned about warping. Galvanizing is the best way to keep the bulkhead protected for the next 50 years. Too bad they didn't come like that from the factory.

dunerunner
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Definately prime if you choose to POR15 the bulkhead. Un-primed POR is like glass!!

TJR
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I am planning on POR15-ing over my bulkhead before I paint it.

POR15's website suggests using a primer that they sell before painting.
Is this really necessary?

Anyone have experience putting a fresh second coat of POR 15 over previously applied and cured POR 15 (3 weeks old)
Just scuff and get to it?

scott
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Anyone have experience putting a fresh second coat of POR 15 over previously applied and cured POR 15 (3 weeks old)
Just scuff and get to it?

my bulkhead por-15 paint job sat a week before the color coat was applied. i just 3m scatch padded it all over using a disc on my drill until the shine was off all the por-15. it's been 9 months now and no peeling or flaking of my color coat

daveb
04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
since bulkheads are made if 18 or 19 gauge, your thicker 16 gauge should work just fine.

I thought about galvanizing it. However, I used some 16 gauge to replace the breaks on the vent area (the thinner stuff broke the angles better) and I am a little worried that the dip hitting 800+ degrees will cause the metal to warp a little too much for my liking.

crankin
04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Wow. I guess I should do a quick update on what has happened since Oct. '08 with my bulkhead...seeing how this is stirring up again.

I did go ahead and hot dip it. I don't regret the decision to do this because I feel confident that it was the best option to get total coverage. I did have some warping around the vents and when you park it by a un–galvanized bulkhead you can really notice. However, it still creates a good seal. The lip on the floor board seemed to draw upwards some…but banging and pulling fixed this problem.

Um…I had to pull the passenger side corner out a place some spacers in there to align everything.

Right now, I can honestly say that almost all the steal on the rig has been galvanized. Well, what about the bolts, washers and nuts? They are all Grade 8…so the Yellow Chromate will offer some resistance to rust (96 - 168 hours in a salt spray test).

I am pretty sure I will not be doing another frame off resto anytime soon on this truck.

TriedStone
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Ok since we've got a little off topic anyway... for those who have galvanized their frame or bulked (which I plan on doing) is getting paint to stick to the galvanization a problem?

Thanks,
James

crankin
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Some of the areas that I could not really get to well enough to scuff them have flaked a little. For example the inside part of the bonnet hooks are flaking...

But i also did a single stage paint without etching primer.

TriedStone
04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
crankin If I'm following this correctly... you galvanized it (bulkhead) and now your going to por-15 it? I had thought about that also, and then you plan on painting over the por?

crankin
04-29-2010, 03:54 PM
No..no...
Back in Oct. '08...I had heard some horror stories about some bulkheads being warped from being hot dipped. Seeing how I had a bulkhead that had been worked on I didn't want to ruin it.

I had thought to save myself the agony of losing the bulkhead from being hot dipped and just POR15 it. However, I would have to sacrifice some of the benefits of galvanizing by doing this. For example, hot dipping gets into every crook and cranny because it is being totally submerged in a tank.

There were other options for galvanizing that would not have warped the metal…and some other options for coating the metal altogether. But when it was all said and done my galvanizing guy would do 100 pounds for $100. It was hard to beat that price. Also, i felt secure enough that hip dipping would not misshape the metal that much.

I think POR15-ing over galvanizing would be overkill…

Here is everyhting as of four months ago. http://picasaweb.google.com/clint.rankin/1972SeriesIII88LAndRover?feat=directlink
I have it up and running right now...and just put the bonnet on last weekend. Doors and floors this weekend.

TriedStone
04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
I see the dates now. I wasn't lurking in October, sorry I'm trying to catch up.

crankin
04-29-2010, 04:19 PM
No worries. If you look at most of my post back in '08...you can see me worrying about all kinds of things and trying to figure out what goes where and what will happen. The rover has taught me that you can drill, beat, cut and hammer on it and it still works out right.

Don't fret on getting the bulkhead galvanized. If you can do it...do it. Its worth it. IMHO.