PDA

View Full Version : Can I swap out Glass for Steel (Sunroof)

VA Rover
01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi, I am trying to figure out if I can swap out a glass sunroof sytem (1991 RRC) with the steel set-up in my 1990 RRC. I am parting out the 1991 and would prefer the glass in my keeper. It looks like they have different plugs and the 91 has a ECU unit. Is it possible to swap just the glass for steel panel? I have the complete sunroof w/ rails out of the 91 and need to do my headliner on my 90, so, this is the only time I would bother doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The 1991 RRC SE I am parting out is Beluga Black and has tons of great parts left. Sheet metal is exceptional. Lower and upper tailgates are long gone, but the rest is there. can e-mail me at ronparisinteriors@yahoo.com or call 540.832.3486 if interested in anything.:thumb-up:: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/editor/menupop.gif

Les Parker
01-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi there,
With a bit of wiring, I would suggest swapping the whole roof panel as the subframes and where the hole is in the roof linings are different.
I have changed the whole thing before, much better set up than the steel sunroof.
Les:thumb-up:

JSalyer
01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Les is right,
Different setup, the glass set up much better, dont know about the changeover. I once had a Doctor come to me(1999) with an 88 RR classic with the metal roof, it was all screwed up and he wanted it fixed at any cost. My Master tech(one of only 10 at the time) recommended him to go to an aftermarket place and have a new pop up roof put in, and after I waded into this job I soon found out why. No more parts where available, I ended up fabricating parts and had something like 12 hours in the job. My manager helped him out, but it was still like $1500, with NO warranty!!

I now tell folks to go and get an aftermarket manual roof installed, I think this is much better and cheaper idea. Better still, get roof off non sunroof car, and install that!! lots of rivets to drill and reinstall, but solves the problem forever. After doing probably a hundred Disco roofs in my life, I now hate them(of course my wifes has roofs and yes I just did roof rails last year, then unplugged the motors!!)

Good Luck

Forever hater of sunroofs...........
Jack of Bavaria

Leslie
01-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Better still, get roof off non sunroof car, and install that!! lots of rivets to drill and reinstall, but solves the problem forever. After doing probably a hundred Disco roofs in my life, I now hate them(of course my wifes has roofs and yes I just did roof rails last year, then unplugged the motors!!)
Good Luck Forever hater of sunroofs........... Jack of Bavaria

:thumb-up:

The previous Disco I had, and the current one the wife has, were specifically chosen because of the lack of sunroofs.