PDA

View Full Version : Any one getting any galvenizing done

KSMTAW
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello-

Was wondering if anyone is getting any galvenizing done near southern Maine, New Hampshire or Mass. I have a new cross memeber and other parts that I would like to get hot dipped.

I don't know of a place to get it done- Any suggestions?

I know this has been asked before- but maybe someone has found a good galvenizing facility recently.

Thanks-
Todd
65 IIA 88
94 Disoc 5sp
89 944 2.7L
1946 Farmall H

Drain Rovers2
11-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I know that its far but there is CT galvanization they do a good job
http://www.ctgalv.com/
They are located in Glastonbury, CT
Good Luck!:thumb-up:

jac04
11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
^^ Is CT Galvanizing still doing small-batch stuff like Rover parts? Last I knew, they said that they were not doing it anymore.

KevinNY
11-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I've used Hubbell Galvanizing in New York Miils,NY. It's right near Utica, NY.

Question, when galvanizing something like a bulkhead, how do you protect threads like the windshield brackets? Do you just chase them with a tap afterwards?

Tim Smith
11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Question, when galvanizing something like a bulkhead, how do you protect threads like the windshield brackets? Do you just chase them with a tap afterwards?Yes. I'm very curious about this as well. Thinking about dipping a couple of bulkheads (along with a bunch of other stuff) but would like to know the details first.

In my experience, CT galvanizing doesn't want to even spend the time on the phone if you mention rovers so your mileage may vary. They seem to be set up for big projects only so they've had some bad experience I'm sure.

SafeAirOne
11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Question, when galvanizing something like a bulkhead, how do you protect threads like the windshield brackets? Do you just chase them with a tap afterwards?

Answer can be found here:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/aga/designing-fabricating/design-considerations/

I know this has been asked before- but maybe someone has found a good galvenizing facility recently.

See:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/aga/resources/galvanizer-locations/

or

http://www.ovlr.ca/jberg/galvan.pdf

jp-
11-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Drill and tap afterwards. Do NOT put bolts in the threads. They will be welded in place. The only problem with the bulkheads is drilling out the little brackets for the dual A/C vents. I use a very long self-drilling fastener, that I turn with a swivel socket mounted on my drill. Works like a charm.

ArlowCT
11-04-2008, 09:27 PM
CT Galvanizing responds best if they think they are dealing with a business. Just took a 10 foot flatbed body I made for our work truck and they took it no problem.

Have had lots of rover parts (they can dip a whole rover frame in one shot) and a trailer frame done there in past years. Better not to call, but just show up with cash in hand with your parts clean and ready to go. They don't want to talk shop, they just want to make money. For the most part they do good work for a galvanizing place.

Hope this helps.

jac04
11-05-2008, 08:20 AM
... but just show up with cash in hand with your parts clean and ready to go.
Did they do your parts 'while you wait'? If so, I'd love to stop by with some parts from my lightweight.

Tim Smith
11-05-2008, 08:55 AM
CT Galvanizing responds best if they think they are dealing with a business. Just took a 10 foot flatbed body I made for our work truck and they took it no problem.

Have had lots of rover parts (they can dip a whole rover frame in one shot) and a trailer frame done there in past years. Better not to call, but just show up with cash in hand with your parts clean and ready to go. They don't want to talk shop, they just want to make money. For the most part they do good work for a galvanizing place.

Hope this helps.Great advise! Thanks.

ArlowCT
11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
They will not do it as you wait (I think) but they do have a pretty quick turn around time. If you walk in off the street I'm not saying that it was easy but It can be done. I waited about twenty minutes before someone talked to me and even then it was touch and go, just made sure not to put any demands on them and let them take their time. When they knew it was for our business it was easy as pie.

Terrys
11-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Connecticut Galvanizing has a subsidiary, Highway Safety, who produces guard rails, and that keeps them busy year round. My company used to do business with them, and they were great people. I was told it was specifically a Land Rover customer who pissed them off so thoroughly that they got to the point of not wanting to do small, one man, one car jobs.
I have also heard of Hubbell and that they will work with individuals. I haven't had anything done by them but their website looks like they can meet our needs for finish.
Hubbell Galvanizing - It's Us or Rust! Serving the Northeast Since 1968 (http://www.hubbellgalvanizing.com/index.php)

jopa
11-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I will be galv a chassis, 3 bulkheads, and misc parts sometime before christmass- I will be using Hubbells in NY mills- John in Delhi

SafeAirOne
11-06-2008, 01:06 PM
One thing you may consider if your semi-local galvanizer won't do private-party stuff, is finding a nearby metal fabrication place that is willing to throw your piece(s) in with the stuff they send to the galvanizer. Often they will do it for thier cost.

The place where I used to buy my steel offered to put my roof rack in with their galvanizing order. I wish I'd have taken them up on it now. :(