PDA

View Full Version : Color Schemes

TCapelle
11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
So I am in the process of purchasing a 67 11a series wagon that has a nice faded and warn off white paint job.

I plan on painting the truck but would like some input and pictures of your rovers that shows some color options.

I am leaning towards a red "poppy red" like body and a cream top.
What about a cream hood, cream top and rest poppy red.....

Anybody know what/how to call out the poppy red and cream color at a chain style paint shop?

I know I should probably stick to the limestone or stock color but....

Any pics or input appreciated

I would then have a red rover, a blue rover , 2 green rovers and a faded limestone rover....:)

Which one should I sleep in when I get kicked out of the house...:)

Thx,
Tim

leafsprung
11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Red body with limestone hood doesnt sound so hot. Lets see some pics, faded trucks are the coolest.http://pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/projects/redrover/mostlydone.jpg

Eric W S
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Any reputable paint shop should be able to get the right LR color code. I told my shop that I wanted LR Bronze Green. They use Dupont and were able to get the exact color code. The floor boards and front apron came out very nice.

Gotta agree with Ike that a Limestone hood would look odd.

If your going to change colors, I would highly recommend painting the pieces separately so the change is imperceptible.

Stay away from chain shops and find a good local body shop. Took me awhile to find one that did good work, used good materials, and was willing and able to spray the truck. It was actually competitive with the chains and I know that they are using better paint and are actively involved and interested in a good job.

Chain shop paint = you get what you pay for and will end up re-shooting the car.

SafeAirOne
11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Paint Codes:

http://www.landrover.net/paint/

Momo
11-05-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm with Ike, when they are faded just right they have enormous street credit. :D

You can get away with re-shooting the original color without too much dismantling. But really, if you want to change colors and do it right you're going to have to take the whole truck apart.

As far as two-tone separations, don't fix what ain't broke... the lines of these trucks are unforgiving of "custom" paint work.

Congrats on Rover number 5. Sleep in the one with the best weather stripping.

Paul Rossmann
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
My SIII is pastel green with fresh paint on the newer or replaced parts. The rest has that fine Rover patina and a thin veil of dirt. She gets washed in May and I wipe the greasy fingerprints off each time I work on her.

BackInA88
11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
PAINT??
It takes at least 30 years for the paint to start to look right!:p
Now if I can get the paint on the wing tops to crinkle just a little more!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Land%20Rover/LandRover008.jpg

Eric W S
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
You guys are lucky to live outside the salt belt.

Old paint on steel will rust before the winter is even over.

I am in the new paint looks better minority as well.

Paul Rossmann
11-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Now if I can get the paint on the wing tops to crinkle just a little more!

I have found a puddle of good quality hydraulic fluid to help this process along. The trick is not to wipe it off for a while. Hope this helps.

Firemanshort
11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
If you are looking for first class paint then do like every one else is saying...

However, Rustoleum Regal Red is a close match to Land Rover Masai Red and Rustoleum Almond is a near match to Land Rover Limestone. They are not exact but pretty close.

I am in the crowd that likes a simple and clean "lived-in" paint job where the pin-striping comes from tree limbs.

SafeAirOne
11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
...Rustoleum Almond is a near match to Land Rover Limestone. They are not exact but pretty close.

Is it "limestone" or "sand"? Whatever it is, Rustoleum "Almond" an exact match on my truck.

Eric W S
11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Is it "limestone" or "sand"? Whatever it is, Rustoleum "Almond" an exact match on my truck.

Limestone. Sand is a tan desert sand color.

O'Brien
11-05-2008, 06:27 PM
i'm not quite a neutral party to this discussion... but i say either leave it, or go with the original color!:D pastel green everything, save for sunsheet and wheels in limestone.

:thumb-up:

TCapelle
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Matt

If I had not already owned 2 rovers in different shades of green maybe it would cross my mind ....

I like the way it is (the faded white or cream or whatever color it is)

But a red rover is something I always wanted...

And a faded blue one, A dirty white one, etc, etc......

Thanks,
Tim

Leslie
11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I originally wanted a red Series, but, I ended up getting a faded marine blue one. Then, when I went to my first MAR, half of the Series there were also marine blue.....

I ended up swapping out the rear tub (and it was pastel), and the doors and outer wings were replaced w/ new, and the bonnet came off of yet another vehicle, so.... I had to paint, and not leave it w/ just a patina. I thought hard about painting it red (I *love* the one that Ike posted above), but.... again, there were, what, nine red Series running around Roanoke at the time, and another over in Boone, so, I wanted to avoid being "the same" as all the others....

I ended up painting a green.... I liked conniston green, but it was a Defender/Disco color, I wanted something older... BRG was nice, wanted something close, that was also period... so, I went w/ cameron green... a Rover color that matched the year, and I'd not seen another Series that color (yet, it had a LR part number for the shade...). Now, I just need to let it age......

However....... while I like a sharp fresh red (again, see Ike's picture above), I also like a faded red, too (find a picture of Ike's faded red Series I pickup....). Would love to have that truck......

Rineheitzgabot
11-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Dude,

I am down with the "Poppy Red". Nice and bright, but looks more like fresh, new farm equipment than a Porsche. I also see nothing wrong with a new, spic and span, paint-job.

I don't know who's this is, but I think it epitomizes what a "Poppy Red" rover should look like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X2s0D5pbZnXYySCzal7gQg?authkey=7f9141umCfc

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4F1c-QBMyLiQYFWEFJW1Ug?authkey=7f9141umCfc

Eric W S
11-07-2008, 05:26 AM
It was Charles Kellog's from British Northwest Land Rover Company. Been on his site for around 8 years and it looks like he sold it.

Paul Rossmann
11-07-2008, 09:45 AM
My first Series was pretty banged up and I replaced various parts with either new or used—whatever I could get in good condition. The car ended up with a limdstone top, blue tub, bonnet and breakfast, a yellow wing (primer), and the rest in faded poppy red.

One day I got a parking ticket and the cop wrote; "Make: Jeep like, Color: "Multi." Another time I came out of work at the end of the day, only to find a note on my car asking me, "Please do not ever park this vehicle in front of this residence.Thank you."

Eventually the car was painted blue, and was never as much fun.

Its all what you like... so little time... so many possibilities...

SafeAirOne
11-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Here's a pretty nifty site regarding Rover paint colors. Pick your Rover on the left, then pick the paint color on the right.

http://www.paintman.co.uk/paint-colour-chart-series-3.html

Firemanshort
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Is that Mercedes Jim's Series III used as the model?

Alaska Mike
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I think it is. Tube front bumper with the rope, rack mounted directly to the roof, 4 headlights, windows in the roof... it has all of the tell-tale markings.

Jim is internationally famous!!!