PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Lock removal again

cooper
11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi all- I need some guidance- I have a 1974 series III in need of new barrel locks. I have them in hand.

I have read "To get a cylinder out, insert the key, so that you can rotate the barrel to get the detent pin to line up... if you look on the tube that holds the barrel, there is a hole... when you get the barrel in the right position, you can push in with a very fine punch, etc., and then extract the barrel."

Can someone please post a picture of where this hole in the barrel is located? Is it on the outside in the handle lever area?
Do I have to take the handle assembly apart? And are there two sizes? I got one installed because is was already missing but is seems to be loose and sticking out a little to far. Sorry for all the newbie questions, but please help.
Thanks - cooper

scott
11-05-2008, 10:45 PM
i wish i could help but mine came out by its self while making a rt turn, heard it go but never saw it again

Leslie
11-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't have a picture handy, but lemme try to describe it for ya....

Look at the lock that you have in hand, ready to insert. On the side opposite the keyhole, there's a tailpiece, with a detent ball sticking up a bit... that's the pin that you will be pushing in on the barrel....

The hole is through the side of the cylinder. Hold the new lock up beside the barrel, with the faces of the keyholes even with each other. Then, the pin on the detent will be even w/ the hole location on the barrel.

You don't have to take the latch assembly apart, but, you do have to be able to get to the hole, I don't 'think' you can do it w/ the latch in-place on the door, but maybe so.... I changed mine out while they were on the bench, not on the door....

Hope that helps....

cooper
11-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Leslie- Thank you- You are the first to state that I need to remove the handle hardware from the door. I checked it out while its installed and can't see the hole where it should be. I'll take the handle off this weekend and post some pictures. Thanks, Cooper-

Leslie
11-06-2008, 07:51 PM
De nada, glad I could help....