PDA

View Full Version : New Series Owner

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I bought a 1969 IIa about two months ago. FUN!!!!! I love this ole thing. This is the third LR that I have owned, first old one. Don't know the history. Bought from consignment at an antique shop. Runs great, leaks oil (wait, Rover and leak are redundant..), have alot of parts to install. New top, seals, seats, wipers, heater, mats, fuel tank, paint...Will see if I can post some pics.

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Don't know too much about the value of these, just wondering if it was a good buy. I know to me that I love the thing. Drive it almost daily, very cold up here and no heater. Kids love it. Husband is alittle peeved that I bought it, oh well, he has his toys....:cool:

Rineheitzgabot
11-07-2008, 07:42 PM
What did you pay for it??:confused:

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 07:47 PM
$3500 He wanted 5000 but we talked him down and had cash. It had been sitting for 3 years at a shop where they did about 7500 in repairs. Brakes, trans slight rebuild, fluids(leaked out by the time I drove it), and a few other things.

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 07:48 PM
is that bad:sly:

Daurie
11-07-2008, 08:14 PM
It's hard to say if you got a deal but if it starts and drives then I think you probably got a decent deal. Pictures of the underside and bulkhead (firewall) would help. I've seen alot worse (outward appearance) with that same pricetag.

Leslie
11-07-2008, 08:28 PM
$3500 for a complete, running, driving, 109 is pretty good, if the chassis isn't about to fall out from under it.

Washington, as in the state? (Or, DC?) Which part? Ike, who is here on the board (leafsprung) is in Oregon...

Have fun!

greenmeanie
11-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Out of interest did Land Rover offer trucks with a brown interior or did someone sell after market panels in that colout. I've seen several trucks online and on ebay with those brown panels now. Not that I want them but I just need to satisfy my curiosity.

Oh, nad if you want an honest opnion of the value of your truck a lot of it is based on the corrosion present in the steel components. THe two most expensive are the chassis and bulkhead. If you post close up photos of the driver's and passenger footwells and the chassis, notably the very front of the chassis horns, the rear chassis legs just forward of the rear cross member and all the outriggers.

First impressions are that it is straight and the door posts look good from a distance so I'd say good buy.

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
The only outrigger that is corroded out is the right front behind the wheel. The rear crossmember/bumper is almost gone-only reason it looks nice is because of the paint applied. I have infinate supplies to welding gear and all sorts of metal(aircraft mech). The floorboards and footwells are covered in a black vynal/insulating material, what we pulled back to inspect is missing some paint but not rusted out. There are some spot welds on the doors that ntb fixed, but not too bad. I have a pick of the left front fender well, some rust but not alot. Sanding down isn't going to destroy the depth or integrity of the metal. The tub has one goug that is about 2" in length and 1" wide, already have rivets and sheet aluminum to fix. Right now before the new top is installed it serves as a rain drain hole-LOL.

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island Naval Air Station:D

xsbowes
11-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I just left Oak Harbor in January, I used to drive around in a '70 IIA SWB, pastel green. Now I have this lightweight and live in Hawaii. I would love to be back in the OH. Much better wheelin in the Cascades and Olympics. If you like to go offroad hook up with http://www.cascaderovers.org/ and the Pacific Coast Rover Club http://www.pcrc.net/. There's a couple groups in Canada too. I plan on going back to the PNW once my tour here in Hawaii is over. (Too hot and humid). Unless I get a job offer in Sicily (awesome choice of old rovers in Europe)! Here in Oahu all the good places to go roverin' requires weeks of prep due to the paperwork and permission. I'm waiting for the Superferry to the Big Island to start service.

Enjoy the rover!

Are you in the military? I was with VQ-2.

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 10:54 PM
My husband and I are both in the military. He is in VQ-2 as an NFO and I work at FRCNW. I was stationed at VP-47 in Hawaii for 5 years, then off to Jacksonville, FL with VP-30. The VP sqd are in Kaneohe MCBH. I loved it there. We had a 97 Disco and used to go to Kiena Point all the time off roading. No permit needed if you just drive around the gates. Pretty rough once you get back there and start being adventurous. Maybe it was the beer. I think that old Disco still has my sister's grip marks on the old OH S&*t bar.:eek:

xsbowes
11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
How long has he been at VQ-2

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
About 6 months, Mark Morrison

xsbowes
11-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I left in January. I was the Intel Dept. Chief.

I've found a few other rovers owners here but not too many go offroad. I might need to check with the Defender owners section of this forum.

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 11:14 PM
[quote=greenmeanie]Out of interest did Land Rover offer trucks with a brown interior or did someone sell after market panels in that colout. I've seen several trucks online and on ebay with those brown panels now. Not that I want them but I just need to satisfy my curiosity.

Looking at them I would say that they are after market wally world cheapo stapled on pieces. I have new, black ones in the garage. Husband says MG has to run before I can work on Rover.

Hormel
11-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Odd to buy it one at an antique store. Was it at Black Cat Antiques in Snohomish? I picked up 5 LR rims with tires from them earlier in the year.
John

vansdonk
11-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Yes it was Black Cat. Those guys treated us awesome. Didn't try to gut us and were real honest. We also bought some furniture. He has some really neat old rare cars in there.

dunerunner
11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Congratulations vansdonk!! Looks like you made a good deal and got a fine truck to worry about fixing. :thumb-up: Happy Rovering!!

Tim Smith
11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Congratulations and welcome aboard the Series but please keep the beer away until the tents come out. :thumb-up:

wooday
11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Very nice!
$3500 is a steal for that one. You beat me to it, called to put an offer on it and he had already sold it to you. There is a similar tan 1969 SIIA 109 soft top on consignment at Gios Vintage Cars (http://www.network-eastafrica.org/giordano/) in Carnation, WA that I was working on. Its not listed on their website, but you can get the sellers phone number there. Its ex-Australian military, a very funky but cool 109 with a recently overhauled HO 2.25 motor (cost the owner $4500).

It was listed at $11995, then $8500, then $7500, then $6750. I have too many Rovers and my wife said no, but someone should continue to badger the seller and pick this one up. Its a keeper.

And what's up with people selling Rovers through antique shops?!

JRover
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree that $3500 for the 109 at Black Cat is a good deal. I looked at it and was going to come back the next day to take for a drive (didnt have time when i looked) but it was gone. Oh well, it all worked out, i now own the Aussie truck that was in Carnation.

wooday
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I agree that $3500 for the 109 at Black Cat is a good deal. I looked at it and was going to come back the next day to take for a drive (didnt have time when i looked) but it was gone. Oh well, it all worked out, i now own the Aussie truck that was in Carnation.

Ah ha! Congrats!
Such a cool truck. Are you going to replace the top?
Hope to run into you [edit: not literally] in Seattle-

wooday
11-10-2008, 05:39 PM
And post pictures when you get a chance... :)

Bostonian1976
11-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Ah ha! Congrats!
Hope to run into you on the road-

may want to revise that :eek:

vansdonk
11-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I just did alot of work this past weekend. Changed oil (twice-embarrassing oops with canister oil filter LOL), trans, transfer, overdrive, and diffs all got new oil-once. New door interior door panes. New top, had to drive ***** for a while, not me, the truck:p . Changed seals on swivels, hubs and rear hubs. Good thing they gave us a 4 day weekend. Didn't drive it today, 39* out with wind blowing. That is going to be my next project-heater and fume guard.
Waiting for something else to break.....
Glad I bought this before everyone else did. Now ya'll can drool over me instead of vise versa.....HAHA:D

bmohan55
11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Did you use Teriann's method of changing the swivel seals? That will be my next chore and was wondering if it's as straight-foreward as it seems.
Bob

vansdonk
11-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Did you use Teriann's method of changing the swivel seals? That will be my next chore and was wondering if it's as straight-foreward as it seems.
Bob

I have no idea. I'm an structural mechanic for aircraft and I find it real simple to use the 'Green Bible'. I didn't run into too many problems other than everything weighs more than me. LOL I could have used the husband's help, but he's out of the country. :(
I will post some more pictures this weekend. I am not too worried about the paint, so I won't be rolling on bling for a couple of years. But I will probibly just use something flat and not too shiny.

greenmeanie
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
But I will probibly just use something flat and not too shiny.

CARC! Sand always looks good or ghost grey.