PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals

GeoffWillis
11-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Ok folks, I need help getting turn signals to work on 12v MOD 110. After today I have brake lights, and front/rear "Running lights" working. Also, when 4 way flasher used, what I expect to be turn the signals flash. So I have power to all 6 rear and 4 front lights. I have studied the wiring diagram for hours and the only relay for the turn signals appears to be the same as the 4 way flasher relay (Behind the fuse panel). Is there a separate relay for the turn signals? if so where is it? Soooo close to getting it registerd!
Thanks,
Geoff

Eric W S
11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Ok folks, I need help getting turn signals to work on 12v MOD 110. After today I have brake lights, and front/rear "Running lights" working. Also, when 4 way flasher used, what I expect to be turn the signals flash. So I have power to all 6 rear and 4 front lights. I have studied the wiring diagram for hours and the only relay for the turn signals appears to be the same as the 4 way flasher relay (Behind the fuse panel). Is there a separate relay for the turn signals? if so where is it? Soooo close to getting it registerd!
Thanks,
Geoff

Did you check the actual lights? Sometimes they rust out and loose connection. LR made a boot kit for them. My 97 had the same issue and the kit solved the problem.

Other than that, I got nothing!
:thumb-up:

Les Parker
11-10-2008, 10:36 AM
The realy on the dash powers the 4 ways and the LH/RH indicators.
Is there any evidence of moisture around the relay?
On my ex-MOD, the vent had been left open, water had drained into the fuse box area, shorting out the internals of the relay.
Took it to pieces, dried it out and all was well again.
Though I replaced the rocker switch/4 way flasher switch as a precaution as it looked dodgy.

2p

GeoffWillis
11-10-2008, 08:09 PM
The realy on the dash powers the 4 ways and the LH/RH indicators.
Is there any evidence of moisture around the relay?
On my ex-MOD, the vent had been left open, water had drained into the fuse box area, shorting out the internals of the relay.
Took it to pieces, dried it out and all was well again.
Though I replaced the rocker switch/4 way flasher switch as a precaution as it looked dodgy.

2p
Ok, so that brown relay behind the fuse panel does double duty, the 4 way and turn signals? That follows what I was able to discern from the wiring diagram. Since you mention the rocker switches, tell me if mine sounds factory, or some kludge. I have two rockers on the lower left dash panel. The left switch has the traditional universal triangle symbol on it and flashes in time with the 4 ways. That left had switch also seems to disable the 4 ways entirely. The right hand switch has "Hazzard" on the front and turns the 4 ways off/on, provided the left hand switch is enabled. Just seems silly to have two switches, first kinda a master arm/disarm with indicator built in, the other the real off/on switch. Regardless, the 4 ways work, turn signals don't, but at least now I know I its the same realy and I can quit trying to find the turn signal relay. Thanks for the help, let you know how it goes. Not that its important, but all the lights (Turn and brake) are LEDs, not traditional bulbs. Kinda neat, but certainly not going to spend the money to put the original stuff back!
Thanks,
Geoff

NashvilleRover
11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Jeff, I had a strange thing happen with my 90 regarding the turn indicators. I changed from a bumper with turn lights to a solid blade bumper. Simply taped the ends of the lead to the bumper turn signals and tucked them away. Then ... NO SIGNALS!
We did trouble shooting for almost three hours, only to do some online research and learn that all we needed to do was change the bulb wattage. Ran out to the local auto parts store, swapped out bulbs, and presto ... turn signals.

Why? ... I have no idea. It is always the things you least suspect.

Good luck.

Dendy

Les Parker
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Most of the flasher units are bi-metallic, so rely on the resistance of the bulb to cause the bi-metalic strip in the flasher to make and break contact, thus causing the flashers to work.
If the impedance is not within tolerances, the flashers will not operate correctly, either the bulbs are lit continously or (rarely) not at all.
So, check the wattage of the combined circuit. Most of the later relays will say 6 x 21w or similar.
Hope this helps