PDA

View Full Version : 02 Discovery II bouncy rear end

TNdisco2
11-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I have the coil spring suspension and the rear of my car is very bouncy. Sway bar, etc. has been checked by a LR technician and everything looks good. I have already replaced the shocks and that didn't help. I've got 95k miles on it. Technician recommended replacing the coil springs. Has anyone ever experienced this and replaced the springs and that solved the problem? Thanks.

Ryan

spacemutt
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Why did you fit coils and not fix the air?

The springs are probaby too stiff. Did you fit heavy duty springs? What dampers did you use? There are coil no ACE, coil ACE, air no ACE and air ACE options to choose from.

TNdisco2
12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I didn't fit it with the coils. It had them on it when I bought it. I would think if the springs were too stiff it wouldn't be bouncy. I don't know though. I can step on the rear bumper and it bounces three or four times before coming to a rest. I was thinking since its an '02 the springs may be beginning to give out and may need new ones. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced this and if they have ever replaced the springs and it rode better. Thanks to anyone for any advice.

spacemutt
02-15-2009, 03:25 AM
If the springs wear then it will sag. Sounds like you need new dampers. Go for uprated gas dampers. If Britpart stuff gets out there they do a good Supergaz gas dampers and a better Cellular Dynamic gas/foam damper which is better.

JimKellyfan
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
which do you have ?

also springs will wear after 10 years of holding the vehicle up

when changing the springs change the shocks again

TNdisco2
08-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks Spacemutt and JimKellyfan. I know its been awhile since I've responded. I've ruled out needing to replace the coil springs. By the way, my Disco does not hace ACE. I've realized I just need a better shock/damper. Because I replaced the old ones with the standard shock. And, as Spacemutt sugggested I think it needs to be a gas shock. Does anyone recommend a certain brand? I've been looking at Atlantic British and tempted to buy the Bilsteins. My local parts store can get a KYB gas shock that they said would cost less and be comparable to the Bilstein. I don't do any off-roading. I don't mind hitting a bump in the road....I just don't want to keep bouncing from the bump as my Disco does now. I just want something less bouncy. Anyone got any recommendations/suggestions? Thanks.

TNdisco2
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks again to everyone for your help. I just wanted to report I put new Bilsteins on and that soved the problem. I just needed a better/stiffer shock. It rides great now. I wish I would have done that a long time ago.