PDA

View Full Version : LED Light conversion

Maxredd90
11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey guys just starting to gather some information on converting my rear lights and possible the front turn indicators to LED's. I found ECR's conversion kit but don't feel like spending the $$$ for something so simple. Anyone know where to find LED's that will fit our D-90s?

spacemutt
11-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Ebay. :) Just look for led bulbs, but to be honest I find the coloured glass bulbs are better. The led bulbs are very bright but very small. The glass bulbs spread the light over a bigger area. Just replace the lens with a clear side light lens.

Eric W S
11-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey guys just starting to gather some information on converting my rear lights and possible the front turn indicators to LED's. I found ECR's conversion kit but don't feel like spending the $$$ for something so simple. Anyone know where to find LED's that will fit our D-90s?

The lights are available direct from the supplier. Mike from ECR was gracious enough to post the manufacturer's name.

The problem isn't the base, bulb, or case. It's properly wiring it as ECR does. They pre-wire everything do that it actually works as intended and uses plug and play wiring. It's not as easy as you first suspect. The flashers are difficult to sort out.

Search D-90.com for the thread. Post up and see if anyone is interested in a group buy. Mike helped out a lot of folks the last time.

GeoffWillis
11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Checked out the LED tail lights on my recent 110 MOD purchase and found the following:
Trucklite modle 10
Jamestown, NY

I got the vehicle to pass inspection Sat, so thats something! Not too impressed with the connections/water proofing etc, but if you google them, they are about $8-$12 which seems reasonable.
Hope that helps.

Nasdiesel
11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
The LED versions are not fully sealed by the way. Mine still see to fill with water when it rains.

ECR
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Just FYI the LED tail lamps we sell for 95-97 NAS D90s are fully sealed. I have had one in a bucket for the last few weeks as a test. No leaks, still working. Others brands may leak, but not ours.
Thanks!!

kellymoe
01-25-2009, 04:10 PM
My son bought a cheap LED light to experiment with a few months ago. One of the things he did was put the light in water and then freeze it. It has been in the freezer for two months and still works inside a block of ice. Aren't LED's in and of themselves sealed? I dont think water would affect the bulb but may affect the wiring.

JimC
01-26-2009, 01:15 PM
The main problem with the round NAS lights is the wiring and connectors are almost impossible to seal up properly with the stock housings. Just buying bayonet-style LED options is obviously the cheap way to go, but doesn't solve the actual problem which occurs in the wiring and connections behind the bulb. In my mind, the ECR solution is the right one, since the key to making a waterproof housing is sealing it up with parts that don't need servicing. And I don't know of any other vendors that sell the Rubbolite LED parts that ECR does in the states - and the large European vendors just sell to the trades.