PDA

View Full Version : If this guy gets his asking price, we'll benefit

thixon
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1964-Land-Rover-S2A-SWB_W0QQitemZ230306907636QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Trucks QQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=i tem230306907636&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'd love to see this truck sell for what he appears to be asking. Sadly it won't, but oh well. Either way, its a nice one.

thixon
11-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Forgot to put in the above post, that it appears they painted the galvy trim silver. Shame shame.

sven
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Im pretty sure this truck has been on ebay a few months back too.

yank
11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I thought his opening bid was crazy forget the buy it now price! Unless it was the Queens I just don't see how it could be worth that kind of money?

vansdonk
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
:confused: This isn't a real Rover, there is no oil on the deck.....And look how clean that engine bay is, where are the critter nests?????

49coe
11-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Man, his a** must be sore if he paid $18000 for parts and $45000 in labor. What a tool!

thixon
11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Man, his a** must be sore if he paid $18000 for parts and $45000 in labor. What a tool!

LOL! Agreed! If any of you are willing to pay me $45000 to restore your rover, let me know. I do good work, most of you have seen the photos! Any takers?

superstator
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
LOL! Agreed! If any of you are willing to pay me $45000 to restore your rover, let me know. I do good work, most of you have seen the photos! Any takers?

$45000 US, or Canadian? How about Liberian?

Les Parker
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Hmm. Not a great job, wiring seems untidy and whats that clear pipe/hose thingy hanging down by the RH front chassis leg? Maybe a battery drain?

:confused:

bmohan55
11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I've spent quite a bit of time on e-bay looking at Series trucks, time well spent as it turns out! I've often wondered what some people were thinking when posting crazy prices like that.

Oh well, makes for entertaining surfing.

Bob

Mercedesrover
11-14-2008, 04:35 PM
$50k is a bit steep but $25K isn't bad. Go out and try to build that truck for $25K.

Eric W S
11-14-2008, 05:05 PM
All in all it isn't done that bad and if you were to price out quality parts, it gets up there fast.

It's not done very well though. For the money he spent he could have done much better.

EwS

wooday
11-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I like the battery shut-off-key idea down in the passenger footwell - I think I'm going to copy that one!

greenmeanie
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
$50k is a bit steep but $25K isn't bad. Go out and try to build that truck for $25K.

Ah yes Jim,
Value is not dictated by the cost of build but rather what the market will support. It is why most owners who restore these trucks do so as a labour of love rather than as an investment. You can justify it on a high dollar car like a classic Ferrari as you could expect it to add value and you could well recover your cost because there is a market demand for cars of that calliber. The market for a high dollar Rover is pretty limited and those who would spend that kind of money most likely are looking for a concourse build.

I wish him good luck but I just don't see a toy like that selling in today's economy.

TCapelle
11-14-2008, 06:18 PM
http://singingcamel.com/modules/zClassifieds/ad_photos/thumb/14.jpg (http://singingcamel.com/modules/zClassifieds/ad_photos/14.jpg)

Who would ever pay $50,000 for a rover.

I just picked up this rover for a fraction of that cost :)

Sure it has a rotten frame, a stuck clutch and just about everything needs to be replaced but where else can you go and slop around in the pouring rain and mud and take the carawagon top off and bring it home to take on a winter project rebuild!

Who knows maybe when I am done with this I will have invested $40K....:(

Anywho check out my new "carry" the carawagon...

-Tim
1967 11a carawagon 109- new needs some lovin
1967 11a NADA wagon #2 ( I bought Matt's) on its way
1972 Series 111 109- summer convertible
1990 County RRC- winter driver
1998 Disco- Family truckster

SwampRat
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I feel certain that truck could be built for 25k. The engine wasn't rebuilt, it got a head job and water pump. tranny flushed. No new frame, pieced together the old one and painted with the cappings, not galvanized. rusty stock springs. no headliner. missing spare tire holder, the holes for it are there but it's gone. wagon wheels, pieced together doormat on the floor, ect, ect.

Don't get me wrong, if average joe and his boy built it in the garage; I'd say great job, good for you. If a reputible shop handed me a bill for 63k (45$ per hr x 1000+hrs + 18k in parts) you would read about the a$$ whipping and my arrest in tommorrows paper. If that truck's worth 50k, mine should bring 75 and it needs a few things.

4flattires
11-14-2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2764&highlight=dali

Ahhh...I still have this parked under my pine tree out by the barn. It has a bunch of sap on it from sitting, but I would let it go for a cool 100k.

JK

Jeff

I Leak Oil
11-15-2008, 06:45 AM
First off, it never ceases to amaze me what people will pay, not only for a rover, but for anything. All it takes is one person willing to shell out the dough.
With that said, I wonder how much extra the radiator shroud would be if it were installed on the truck? I'm guessing another 2K, maybe 3K with the screws...
Jason T.

Les Parker
11-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Well, all very interesting these comments, some nice and informative on folks who have completed as good (if not better) work and moved on.
If the vehicle sells for the asking price, all well and good.
A deal is when buyer and seller are content with the outcome.
Hopefully, the prosective owner is fully aware of the depth of workmanship and the seller is honest with the level of work completed to a skill level indicated by the final price.

Still, I am mystified by that translucent hose, whatever is the use for it?

Les Parker
11-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Just for reference, here's a nice job !!

http://www.coopertechnica.com/1961landrover.html

:thumb-up:

Eric W S
11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Just for reference, here's a nice job !!

http://www.coopertechnica.com/1961landrover.html

:thumb-up:

Actually Les, I'd say the last three 88's David did trump that particular truck.

Those out did anything Dunsfold, ECR, Lanny, or any one else has ever done.

EwS

Eric W S
11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
http://singingcamel.com/modules/zClassifieds/ad_photos/thumb/14.jpg (http://singingcamel.com/modules/zClassifieds/ad_photos/14.jpg)

Who would ever pay $50,000 for a rover.

Anyone who has had ECR, Cooper Technica, or British Northwest restore a rover for them. There is a market for those consumers.

Andrew IIA
11-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Forgot to put in the above post, that it appears they painted the galvy trim silver. Shame shame.

and incorrect seats me thinks. shame.

ArlowCT
11-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Nice looking truck but for the price I would want a deluxe bonnet, spare tire, duel brake system, SEAT BELTS!?!?, door trim, headliner, door window locks, a matching set of shocks, and a Lifetime subscription to LRO AND LRM.

But the truth of the matter is I wish my truck would look that good from 1000 feet. It's a very nice rebuild but not a restoration in some books. I don't think I would think twice about driving it.

Question: What are peoples thoughts about copper brake lines? I have heard that they will fatigue over time and crack. With the vibrations of a rover I was wondering if anyone has seen this happen?

Cheers

Jeff Aronson
11-15-2008, 04:40 PM
The Rover looks nice enough, particularly inside, and if someone has enough money these days, then it will probably serve them quite well.

For that money and time invested in the car I'd hope to see a more original vehicle. The banjo wheel implies it's a Series II/II-A from before mid-1966, but black interior is from a late II-A. The overdrive is nice [I like mine] but of course, that's a mid-70's option.

Are those really spoker white wheels? Yikes! Those are an acquired taste that I never acquired. I once owned a used Jeep CJ-7 that had came with a screaming eagle decal on the hood and predictably, spoker wheels. Put some D110 wheels on instead.

The hardtop is not a NADA top, not with those windows. I've seen that type in British magazines, as if a hardtop with no windows had some windows installed as an option. If the soft top is really a new one, then hopefully there's a hoop set and all the hardware included; otherwise, there will be additional expenses.

The owner has "converted it to 12 volts," so it might have been a 24v military or a FFR at one time. That would explain some of the "new electrics" and the "instrument reconditioning." Hopefully the former means a new wiring harness. The top end of the engine represents the easy replacements; if the car was not well cared for early in its life, then bearing and/or ring wear will be an issue later in its life.

As a Rover in Florida it's unlikely to encounter the kind of harsh weather that eats away at New England Rovers, so it should look good for a long time. The price is high to me because I don't have much money; at some income levels, it makes sense.

I'm reminded of a Series Rover put up for sale at the British Invasion in Stowe, VT, one year. It, too, had spoker wheels and an odd blue shade of paint. The sign placed by the owner read "$45,000 or best offer." I'm sure the OBO was less.

Jeff

JayGoss
11-16-2008, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Question: What are peoples thoughts about copper brake lines? I have heard that they will fatigue over time and crack. With the vibrations of a rover I was wondering if anyone has seen this happen?[/QUOTE]

I've heard that they won't pass inspection in certain states for that reason- VT is one of them (I think). When I restored my first rover 15 yrs ago I used a set because they were cheap and easy to bend by hand. The end result was functional but not very professional-looking. The rover looked nice like this one (a "10 footer")- but there were a lot of "hokey" fixes such as this which bugged me as time went on and I saw more and more "properly restored" rovers. The copper lines, weird battery cutoff switch, incorrect seats and steering wheel, galvy trim painted w/hammmerite, spoked wheels, etc. are all fine personal preference items for a customized daily driver for $15k...but take my words w/a grain of salt. I'm one of those "suckers" and "tools" referred to in this thread for spending too much on a resto. Albeit I would say mine is concourse- or pretty close (it has personal preference/safety items such as non-original parabolic springs, inertial reel seat belts & anti-burst door latches so I probably can't call it concourse). So, like some others here, I'm cheering for this guy to bump our rover values a bit but I kind of feel bad for whoever ponies up $50k and winds up with this!

Eric W S
11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Jay,

Don't sell yourself short. Just embarked on a similar path. Do it right the first time! I have been sending checks all over the country to various folks for various things. Ike is expecting the bulkhead back from the strippers soon! Then off to galvy

End result will be a straight clean rover!

EwS

Apis Mellifera
11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Don't confuse copper with cunifer brake lines (they both look like copper). Copper may fatigue over time and shouldn't be used, but cunifer is acceptable brake pipe material. I built a Midget last year and used Cunifer and will be using it for every restoration I do from now on. Bends and flares easily and won't rust.

BirdNerd
11-16-2008, 04:46 PM
...since we're pickin it apart

The turn signal switch is on the wrong side of the column....

Let he who has not put WAY too much money into his LR cast the first NOS Hand Throttle.......

BTDT

BN

Leslie
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
The thing that bothered me most right-off-the-bat (aside from the wagonwheels, and painted galvanizing)....

The Rover is LHD. Yet, the rear license plate and Land Rover logo are in the RHD positions.

Leslie
11-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh.....

I'd rather see it on a new galvanized chassis, instead of the original sand-blasted then half-replaced.

Even if doing a restoration, I would say, get the galvanized chassis, then paint over it so it looks like the original black, if you choose. If going through so much labor, you should add longevity, IMHO.

swaschka
11-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Hate to see high dollar rebuilds with white wagon wheels and radials!

Leslie
11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Radials don't bother me..... if it's in the spirit of the original. But I agree, I'm not fond of wagon wheels. (Of course, some don't like my Disco steelies, either).

Leslie
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
But, I've never claimed mine as a restoration, either....

(galvanized bulkhead and other bits, parabolics, Delco 10si, Weber carb, SIIa tub on a SIII, etc.)

JayGoss
11-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Oh.....

I'd rather see it on a new galvanized chassis, instead of the original sand-blasted then half-replaced.

Even if doing a restoration, I would say, get the galvanized chassis, then paint over it so it looks like the original black, if you choose. If going through so much labor, you should add longevity, IMHO.

I agree- I had my galvanized chassis painted this time and it looks great. On a former restoration I masked off the chassis and painted the rear cross member and left the rest bare galvanized. It always bugged me!

4flattires
11-23-2008, 08:41 AM
...it did not sell.

Jeff

Saxondog
11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
There is no New Symrna Fl. It's New Symrna Beach, as all Florida auto enthusists, know ---NEVER EVER buy a Beach Car