PDA

View Full Version : Non-skid

vansdonk
11-15-2008, 10:06 PM
So I'm at work the other day and the LPO of the paint shop, my old shop, tells me that they are going to dispose of some non skid. It's past the 6 month in house limit, waste of money. This is polyurathane/chromate/glass(sand) paint that is rolled on. It can be mixed with any poly paint to get the perfect color. We already have about 3 gallons of depot level primer used on the skin of aircraft (aluminum) and the alodine for surface prep. There is no exfoliation, filiform, or galvanic corrosion on these surfaces. So I was thinking of putting this on the bonnet, wings, and in the tub. Has any one ever tried anything like this. I know all about using these paints/primers, but was just wondering if anyone else has used a non-skid type material on these body parts. I have seen the diamond plates peeps use on the wings and the rubber mats for the tub and bonnet, just looking to do something alittle different and rough and tough. If I do it, I will post alot of pics. Still have to post some tomorrow for all the beautification I did last weekend.

Firemanshort
11-16-2008, 07:20 AM
You may not care... but I would think that a rough, non-skid surface would hold a lot of dirt and be hard to clean.... maybe.... just a thought.

Eric W S
11-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Why do want a non skid surface on the hood and wings? If you damage your wings they can be very difficult to locate another decent pair.

Just some food for thought...

vansdonk
11-16-2008, 10:07 AM
It was just a thought. If I have this stuff, why not use it? Just wondering other peeps opinion. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I decide. This stuff isn't like a rhino lining, if you get a dent, it acts just like paint. Well, it is paint, just with scratchy stuff added in. I'm really going to think about this for a while, pros and cons.......:confused:

greenmeanie
11-16-2008, 11:03 AM
If I was using anti skid on a Rover I would look at the
- Inside of the tailgate. If you have to stand up there and it is wet it can lead to rapid and undignified descent to ground level.
- Floor plates in the cab.
- Maybe the floor in the rear as it would help stop a load back there from slipping around.

I don't think the wings by themselves are really strong enough to be stood on regularly. Part of the treadplate thing is that it also acts as a strengthener.

Jeff Aronson
11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm with GreenMeanie. Many is the tim e that I wish I had non-skid deck paint on the inside of the tailgate. The rear floor can get slippery, too.

I'd avoid it on the wings. They do get scratched up if you use the Rover as a work vehicle; that' where the diamond plate can be a help.

Jeff

SeriesShorty
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
On the interior bed or floorboards I think it'd be a groovy idea. Not sure if when the little knobbies of grit start to wear off if it'd still look good. I'd highly avoid putting on the outside body or the upper interior. Just think about walking by the truck and getting too close and snagging your clothing (ie sweaters) or scraping the skin off your elbows. Plus it'd be a real pain to clean. But interesting way to use up some free goods from work. :thumb-up:

JimCT
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
People clean their Land Rovers??????? What?

thixon
11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Only thing I'd add is you could spray the inside lower portion of the bulkhead (where hardura trim goes). It'd be a pain to get off later if you needed to fix it, but hey, you wanted suggestions.

109 Pretender
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Why don't you try it out on a small piece and see if you like it? A couple of weeks ago I was following a Jeep Cherokee which was fully painted w/Line-X or some equiv. It actually looked pretty good. Stealthy, because it was sorta semi-gloss black. Like everyone else said though - repairs, cleanup might be a mess?? Squirt some on a piece of aluminum and give it a thorough flogging and see.

Cheers!