PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Cabin Heater on Ebay

Mountain132
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a heater but just curious, has anyone seen one of these before. I'm sure others may be interested if they are worthwhile

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-I-II-III-Clayton-Cabin-Heater-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a4Q 7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec 0Q2em14QQhashZitem180307129959QQitemZ180307129959Q QptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

xsbowes
11-17-2008, 12:40 AM
http://www.claytoncc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=37.

they are still making them today.

Eric W S
11-17-2008, 07:53 AM
What's so rare about them? You can order them from several vendors in the UK and have them shipped direct via Royal Post?

They do have an updated core and blower unit as well. Nice little heater.

Mark Mc
11-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Right. rare as in the unit being available stateside and available now vs. having one shipped from Clayton in the UK and paying for international shipment, rare (which is what the ad says). When these were ordered originally, they arrived a little over two months after payment.

They are indeed nice heaters and well worth the auction price for someone needing one.

Regards, Mark

Eric W S
11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Right. rare as in the unit being available stateside and available now vs. having one shipped from Clayton in the UK and paying for international shipment, rare (which is what the ad says). When these were ordered originally, they arrived a little over two months after payment.

They are indeed nice heaters and well worth the auction price for someone needing one.

Regards, Mark

Holden.co.uk and PA Blanchard both assured me that the heater will make it to Chicago from the UK in anywhere from a week to three (depending on my choice in shipment method). All with reasonable shipping rates for the same unit! There are three other vendor's I am price checking with that also stock the heater.

Since they are readily available in a reasonable amount of time, I'll stand by my original statement. Not a rarity for the resourceful willing to spend a few minutes on the net. In fact there is a vendor with several in stock in the Pacific Northwest - land-roverco.com.

So why try to mislead enthusiasts with false claims? They are not rare and can be easily had. No need to embellish the truth to make a buck. Sell it as being across the pond here as a convenience. Not as a rarity.

EwS

xsbowes
11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
In fact there is a vendor with several in stock in the Pacific Northwest - land-roverco.com.

How much were they asking? I order some swivels from them and they matched the lowest price I could find.

Alaska Mike
11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
How much are they running? I was looking to free up a little room under the hood on my Series III. They look a little more robust than the commonly available aftermarket units, and will likely heat a little better- a nice feature up here.

xsbowes
11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
On the EbayUK they're running $322.

This person selling these heaters in NH also has a RM roverdrive with the bid at $1675 (also listed as very rare).

Eric W S
11-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Looking around 350 converted from GPB. As of 2 1/2 weeks ago...

Don't know what Charles is asking for them. I spoke with him over the summer and he mentioned he had them in stock.

If you guys are interested I can call Holdens or another UK vendor tomorrow and ask if they will discount a larger order. . .

vandermeter
11-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Hope we have'nt hijacked the thread here- but I would be interested in getting one of the aforementioned, before the snows start here in New England...

Mountain132
11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
are they any better than the square smiths?

yorker
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Are you guys just nostalgic for these or doing 100 point restorations? There are tons of better heaters out there for less $... I could see using one of these as an auxillary/rear heater in a 109 I guess but for the front I'd prefer a more modern design. If someone reproduced the Kodiak with a better distribution box then you'd really have something.

greenmeanie
11-19-2008, 09:28 AM
As a matter of interest, how does a Kodiak differ from the heater on a late IIA? I've never really taken the time to research Kodiaks as I live in the fiery armpit of the country.

Mountain132
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
This thread mostly stemmed from my first introduction to the Clayton. Have never seen nor heard of one. Most folks give high praise to the Kodiak, mixed reviews for the smiths, and never mention the clayton. Has been an interesting conversation though. Am I interested in buying and replacing my existing system, no.

Alaska Mike
11-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Yorker- what would you suggest? The reason I liked the design was the small footprint and capability for defroster ducts. Most aftermarket heaters I've seen are pretty weak for anything below 40F (which is a concern for me).

yorker
11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Gregor- which heater does your 109 have? the same one as Mercede's Jim's? (the one with the distribution box beneath the dash/parcel shelf)?

The Kodiak came in at least 4 different versions, Ike Goss has a pretty good reference to them here: http://pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/kodiaksite/kodiak.html

The Kodiak I have the mot experience with is the MK4:
http://pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/kodiaksite/kmark4.html

They are nice- with big heater cores and can use fresh air which is usually drier than the cabin air and can reduce some of the condensation inside on the windows easier than a recirculating heater. the Mk4 can easily heat an 88" but I'd like to find a way to bring some of the heat directly into the left hand footwell.

There are a lot of other heaters out there, the Flex-a-lite Mojave heater has been used by some people. http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/mojave-heater.html

Here is another one i've seen used:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/Heaters/GP_2002895_N_111+10201+600002307_10101.jcw

There are also various other auxillary and or army surplus heaters out there that can be used. A really neat auxillary heater is available off of Toyota FJ60's- they might work well in a 109 for the rear. FJ40's have an auxillary heater that is like the Smiths- a round core with a fan in the middle- they could be adapted too but aren't that great.

If strict originality isn't a concern there really are a ton of heaters out there that can, and have- been used over the years.

Heck even the guys with 24 volt LR's could probably figure out how to use something like this:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/jeep-heater-3259.cfm

Alaska Mike- the first thing to do is make sure all the various leaks are stopped- the odd holes in the bukhead that some PO drilled- the bad seals on the doors etc- they make a huge difference in the winter- much more than most people realize.

greenmeanie
11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Matt,
Yup that's the one. The late IIA heaters seem to share a lot of common features with the Kodiak except that Land Rover have tried to make it more integral with the truck. The nice thing about it is that you get a big duct running across under the dash to provide air to the driver's footwell.

I'd be interested to know they compared heat wise.

The other heater to mention is arctic heater fitted to MOD trucks for winter warfare. It is a serious afair that replaces the center seat in tha cab and uses lots of hose to duct air to the windows, rear , roof and anywhere else someone might place their tootsies. I can't find a picture right now but there should be some floating around.

Eric W S
11-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Are you guys just nostalgic for these or doing 100 point restorations? There are tons of better heaters out there for less $... I could see using one of these as an auxillary/rear heater in a 109 I guess but for the front I'd prefer a more modern design. If someone reproduced the Kodiak with a better distribution box then you'd really have something.

The Clayton's have a much higher rated output than the originals due to an improved modern core design. The cores and heater units get very good marks for comfort level from the Series2Club BBS. They heat very well and are well made. One poster on the BBS was amazed at how quickly he had to turn it off and was echoed by several others.

Wouldn't be a 100 point resto - they were mainly offered in Canada as opposed to the US and were used for late SI and early SIIs from what I can gather.

I just want to simplify my engine bay and sell the Kodiak when the new bulkhead comes in. I like the look and the Clayton fits the bill. Nice and simple.

vandermeter
11-19-2008, 06:07 PM
So,Lads, with my series III 88, the weak link in the winter commute seems to be the strength of the heater- The half dozen areas that I can see "daylight" through... and the "optimistic design" of the defroster hoses.
After addressing the daylight issue-caulk, rubber mat, ect, there seems to be two schools of thought-replace my OEM unit with aftermarket kit, Or add supplementary heater unit(s)??FYI I also use the RN grill cover.

Not just a comfort level- I drive (happily)all winter with coat, hat and gloves and WARM boots. I know it's vintage and British! It's just outright Dangerous to have that window fog/ice or frost obscure the (Tiny) windshield .I mean It's gotten downright scary on several late night return trips from work. Would Love to not have a frozen left foot on hour or longer jaunts...but really wanna SURVIVE the 15 min drive to and from work. Any way of ramping up the DEFROSTER?

yorker
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Any way of ramping up the DEFROSTER?

Sure different defroster pipes might help the flow, more air helps, drier exterior air vs. recirculated air, heated windscreens- there is a lot of stuff you can do- just give it some thought.

Gregor- I have one of those under dash distribution boxes somewhere from one of my old parts trucks. I could faricate some sort of newer distribution box with it and an off the shelf heater core and blower- could be a fun project, maybe I'll try that in the ambulance. The arctic heaters are neat- I have pics of one somewhere but haven't been able to add one to my collection yet, always been a day late and dollar short when one turned up.

vandermeter
11-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Tanks- will tink on improvements...bye the bye, has anyone tried a Mt. Mansfield?? heater from our sponsors?

Blueboy
11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
has anyone tried a Mt. Mansfield?? heater from our sponsors

yep; have one in Blueboy and it works great!!

even with temps in single digits, it is warm in the front and that is with the 2 speed fan on low.

as there is usually only 2 Labs on the rear seat, not too sure how warm it is back there, yet, there is plenty of hot air moving around with the fan on high.

coupled with the heated windshield, deicing/defogging is also very good.

Jaime

SafeAirOne
11-19-2008, 10:39 PM
The other heater to mention is arctic heater fitted to MOD trucks for winter warfare... ...I can't find a picture right now but there should be some floating around.

I can't find an installed pic but see http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5579 for all the pieces.

...the first thing to do is make sure all the various leaks are stopped- the odd holes in the bukhead that some PO drilled- the bad seals on the doors etc- they make a huge difference in the winter- much more than most people realize.

I wholheartedly concur. It was 30 degrees here today. I just installed a new heater core and blower motor. Both work like absolute champs. A real furnace. I still froze my a$$ off however, because both front doortops leak BADLY and I've got one of those special rear sliding windows that automatically opens when I reach Mach 0.0000000002 on the open road.

Jim-ME
11-20-2008, 04:35 AM
My bitsa Rover came with the late 2a Smith's system which had the distribution box/tube which ran under the dash. The PO had completely removed the distribution tube and I found out last winter the hard way that defrost is more important to me than cabin heat but then again I work outside and am used to being cold. I had planned to put in a Kodiak M4 core and distribution box coupled with my existing late 2a Smith's blower and install heated windscreens but I'm not sure I'm going to follow thru. For the time being I simply cut the tube which ran under the dash off and moved the little door over. I also want to install an under the dash quadrant hand throttle and a late 2a heat distribution system is not compatible. I'm following this thread very closely and am interested in all that is being said and tried. The one thing I do know is that the Mt. Mansfield heater is way out of my price range.
Jim

greenmeanie
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
For the fogging/icing windscreen issue the heated windscreens are 100 times better than blowing around hot air. There's a company in the UK that sells them for a very reasonable price too, even including shipping, and our host even has the harness.

Heater - who needs one of those? In Phoenix the leaky door seals are a pain because the let the hot air in.

TedW
11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
It puts out mucho mucho heat, IMO, especially since I had the heater core flushed out. Even my wife is happy, and we have a soft top. In the winter it is very cold, AND damp, where we live (Maine coast).

I have added the high-temp thermostat which now provides even more heat.

Jim, I believe I have the same stock distribution box that your PO removed. If you can find a used one I think it's worth putting back on. As you might know, you can direct the air to either the screen, the footwells, or both. You can also isolate the footwell heat to one side.

Jim-ME
11-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I saved the parts/pieces I cut. I have no desire to run the complete tube to my feet as I want the hand throttle. I just got the rest of the plastic tubing to defrost the windscreen so I am very happy at this point. I will be installing a higher temp thermostat which will/should make the heat output better. I hope.
Jim

yorker
11-20-2008, 04:23 PM
make sure you have a good heater core too- I think Mercedes Jim found good alternative for the stock housing- it is mentioned in one of his build threads or over on G&R.

sven
11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I used a generic heater from summitracing in my SIII. I replaced the stock core and motor with this "all-in-one" unit.
Truck is all apart (again) so I will redo the mounts and fresh air ducting for it.
Here's a pic when I first did it.http://www.personal.psu.edu/sus21/heater/IMG_0182.JPG

vandermeter
11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
[quote=Blueboy]yep; have one in Blueboy and it works great!!

Jamie, Remember what you paid (aprox)? seem to remember a "sale" on them at RN for 300 and change???? talkin outa my tookis...but think that was it...

Blueboy
11-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Remember what you paid (aprox)?

Not really as Blueboy was done in 2000.

It isn't inexpensive, yet, as I said, it works really well.

Keep in mind Blueboy sits on a 110 drivetrain so we (wife and the 2 four-paw drive Lab rovers) use it on long trips and cruise very easily at 65 on the highways.

Having a good heater just makes it more liveable/useable in cold temps.

Unfortunately as we now reside primarily in NY where the DOT uses liquid calcium chloride on the roads for snow/ice removal, the Rover doesn't see as much Winter work as it once did.

Yet, Blueboy is a "keeper" for me and eventually we'll be back in an area where that isn't practiced.

All I can say, it is worth the money if you want hot interior heat and a useable defrost system.

Jaime

SeriesShorty
11-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Heck even the guys with 24 volt LR's could probably figure out how to use something like this:

Thanks for the awesome link...I have my finger on the Add to Cart button and it's twitching to click it. I gotta do a bit more research to make sure I have room to fit it since the site doesn't list any dimensions. If I get it, I'll be sure to do a full write up and maybe put my new mini camcorder to good use. :)

yorker
11-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the awesome link...I have my finger on the Add to Cart button and it's twitching to click it. I gotta do a bit more research to make sure I have room to fit it since the site doesn't list any dimensions. If I get it, I'll be sure to do a full write up and maybe put my new mini camcorder to good use. :)

There are a few of them on ebay that might have dimensions or better pictures of that particular heater- also some of the guys on http://g503.com/ might have some personal experience with them.

I am not sure but this may be the same heater kit:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/heater.htm

SeriesShorty
12-08-2008, 12:51 PM

I'm getting ready to buy one of these for myself for Christmas and was trying to figure out how I wanted to mount it. I'd rather not have my passenger have to deal with the thing on their side of the footwell so I was considering mounting it in the engine compartment. I have a nice big spot I just cleaned out where the old rusted out jack box used to be.

My main question is regarding fresh air intake. I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about how heaters work so be gentle. Does anyone know if this type of old M37 or M38 heater require fresh air intake? Or do you see any problems that I may be overlooking with mounting in the engine compartment like Sven did?

I'll be fabbing up my own distribution system to run to the interior so I think I've got that part sorted out in my head pretty well.

Thanks for any other ideas.

Shorty

SafeAirOne
12-09-2008, 12:23 AM
My main question is regarding fresh air intake. I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about how heaters work so be gentle. Does anyone know if this type of old M37 or M38 heater require fresh air intake?

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com//media/images/heater.jpg
It's hard to tell by the picture...On my SIII, fresh air is drawn into the center of the blower wheel, then is shot out of a hole along the circumference of the blower housing then through a heat exchanger (heater core) then to the heat distribution ducts in the cabin.

If I were to guess by looking at the picture, I would say that "fresh" air is sucked through the heater core first, then through the blower fan and then blown out of the round hole along the circumference of the blower housing.

Without seeing the other sides of the heater core shroud, there's no way of telling how the fresh air is introduced to the core, so you may not be able to duct proper fresh air in and may instead have to breathe all that potentially dangerous air that originated in the engine bay.

I'm wondering if this unit was meant to be installed inside the cabin, continuously recirculating and heating the air in the cabin.

You may want to ask how this heater draws fresh air on the following board. I'm sure someone there must have one: http://www.ltmhosting.com/phpbb/