X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daurie
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2007

Defender Central

Count the Defenders.. Thought this might be fun to share.
    Map multiple locations, get transit/walking/driving directions, view live traffic conditions, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery. Do more with Bing Maps.
    '73 SIII 88"
    Turner 8:1 Engine
    NRP Exhaust
    Roverdrive
    RM Parabolics
    OME Shocks
    Warn 8274
    Pangolin4X4 bumper
  • rwollschlager
    5th Gear
    • Sep 2007

i just wish some more of them were over here...legally
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Momo
      3rd Gear
      • Dec 2006

Looks like a lot at Solihull...right?
      '60 SII Station Wagon
      '64 SIIA 109 Regular
      '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Comment

• Carpe
        Low Range
        • Apr 2008

Oh my...that's just HOT!

Comment

• Carpe
          Low Range
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by rwollschlager
          i just wish some more of them were over here...legally
          True that. Never ceases to amaze me how many posters in this forum have some 110 with a year other than 1983 or 1993 that try and say 100% legal. Look, if you have to say it's 100% legal in your post, there's probably a very legitimate reason why I should be suspicious. 100% legal goes without saying. Most folks tend to round up, I think, from 42.7% legal to 100% legal.

I agree, though...more here would be a good thing. Canada's import laws are better than ours.

Comment

• Daurie
            2nd Gear
            • Nov 2007

Personally I think another batch of NADA Defenders is due. Now with the new LR owners who knows what will happen!
            '73 SIII 88"
            Turner 8:1 Engine
            NRP Exhaust
            Roverdrive
            RM Parabolics
            OME Shocks
            Warn 8274
            Pangolin4X4 bumper

Comment

• rwollschlager
              5th Gear
              • Sep 2007

an nada defender would be good. as long as its cheaper than the ones on ebay and comes with a nice big warranty
              ------------------------------------------------
              72 SIII 88
              67 SIIA 109
              82 SIII Stage 1 V8
              -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Carpe
                Low Range
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Daurie
                Personally I think another batch of NADA Defenders is due. Now with the new LR owners who knows what will happen!
                It sounds odd to say this, but I don't want another round of NADA Defenders near as bad as I want the existing crop of Defenders (worldwide) to be made more readily available to the American market. While I understand the spirit of the 25 year old import rule, I have to say that I disagree with it in principle.

I'll never buy a new car (for many reasons). I think it is daft and wasteful to produce as many cars as we do. It's not a sustainable practice, supply greatly outweighs demand, and new trucks quickly devalue and become castaway vehicles because the cost and expertise required to service, repair, and maintain them is disproportionately high in relation to the time and money that folks have as the economy contracts. Give me a truck that I can keep for 20 years...then give me another.

Comment

• Terrys
                  Overdrive
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Carpe
                  It sounds odd to say this, but I don't want another round of NADA Defenders near as bad as I want the existing crop of Defenders (worldwide) to be made more readily available to the American market. While I understand the spirit of the 25 year old import rule, I have to say that I disagree with it in principle.

I'll never buy a new car (for many reasons). I think it is daft and wasteful to produce as many cars as we do. It's not a sustainable practice, supply greatly outweighs demand, and new trucks quickly devalue and become castaway vehicles because the cost and expertise required to service, repair, and maintain them is disproportionately high in relation to the time and money that folks have as the economy contracts. Give me a truck that I can keep for 20 years...then give me another.
                  I couldn't agree more. Detroit wants us to bail them out, so they can continue this trend? Not with my tax dollars, thank you.

Comment

• jp-
                    5th Gear
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Terrys
                    I couldn't agree more. Detroit wants us to bail them out, so they can continue this trend? Not with my tax dollars, thank you.
                    Amen.

I know several people that are aware of the big three buying up patents for fuel efficient engines since the 1940's. We were getting 36mpg in 1930. That is a fact. And yet, they want us to believe that in 2008, 78 years later that 22mpg is good? ("Top of its class in mpg," as they like to say.)

I say let them go bankrupt and then let them reform (under chapter 11 guidelines) and start producing some of the fuel efficient designs they have been sitting on for 60+ years.
                    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• JSBriggs
                      1st Gear
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jp-
                      .... and start producing some of the fuel efficient designs they have been sitting on for 60+ years.
                      I wish they would put quality and durability on the top of the list long before fuel efficiency.

-Jeff

Comment

• Momo
                        3rd Gear
                        • Dec 2006

How quickly the lessons of the '73 oil crisis have been forgotten.

Meanwhile Honda just opened a new plant in Indiana. I guess they must be doing something right.

I'm with you guys- no bailout. Free markets are cruel but decisive. The irony is that the current crisis may finally open the US market to all those great little turbo diesels that the ROW enjoys.
                        '60 SII Station Wagon
                        '64 SIIA 109 Regular
                        '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Comment

• Eric W S
                          5th Gear
                          • Dec 2006

I had a Defender. Never again. I loved the truck, but they have nothing on a well restored series.

EwS

Comment

• sayers
                            1st Gear
                            • Oct 2006

I can remember that in 1997 d90's were 34,500, right off the lot, not a bad price back then. Maybe ta-ta motors will think outside the box and send some defenders our way.

Comment

• Carpe
                              Low Range
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JSBriggs
                              I wish they would put quality and durability on the top of the list long before fuel efficiency.

-Jeff
                              Land Rover owners can't throw too many stones at US automakers for quality and durability. Take a quick survey of the forums we are in and you will quickly realize that it is 95% about repair, 3% about buying and selling, and 2% about driving. Our aftermarket for repair parts for Rovers is disproportionately high to that of accessories. Rovers break - that's what they do. We like them because they have character, history, and relatively sound off-road handling. However, we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that we are to be swayed by quality and durability. We like repairability.

Comment

Working...