PDA

View Full Version : 1971 IIA 109 Opinion?

highmile
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey guys!

I have found a local Series IIA for sale that I went over and looked at during lunch. The owner was unable to join me during my visit, but I snapped some pictures for your viewing enjoyment. The guy is asking $3500.

It is a 1971 Land Rover Series IIA 109 5 door wagon. RHD
The truck frame is pretty much swiss cheese with rust. The right-rear outrigger where the leaf spring attaches is twisted and practically falling off which is causing the whole truck to sag tat that wheel. The truck supposedly runs and drives, but I doubt you would want to with the frame condition. It has a newer 5 bearing Rover engine from the mid-80’s. Not sure of the good and bad of this engine. Anybody know anything about this engine? The bulkhead has rust, the footwells have rust, the doors do not seem to shut all the way. The safari top skin has some patches that look to have been patched with steel rather than aluminum.

Overall, the truck just seems really sad. There is no way in my mind that this thing is worth anywhere near the asking price of $3500. Should I walk away or at least give some sort of offer? What kind of offer would you suggest considering the photos and the description?

Here's a link to a bunch of pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bergeron20/1971LandRoverIIA109?authkey=G5ozbwXYNoI#

Thanks!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_otYm1wlXApo/SSXGAhpUewI/AAAAAAAABO4/uvlPd2JR2qk/s512/IMG_1786.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_otYm1wlXApo/SSXGONWTeUI/AAAAAAAABQU/U80NFoHU8Zc/s512/IMG_1797.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_otYm1wlXApo/SSXGDHU1IaI/AAAAAAAABSE/SIvlwY84NDM/s512/IMG_1788.JPG

Momo
11-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't know what you paid for your NADA but for what it's worth I think you'd be trading down. Save your pennies for a well-sorted runner.

greenmeanie
11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Low ball him and part it out. Not something I like to say but I would call it too far gone for most people's tastes.

Now I would buy the steering wheel, the roof rack, the T-posts if they are half way decent, ummmm and and whole lot of niggly bits.

highmile
11-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I sold the NADA that I only paid $1250 for. I always keep my eyes open for Series Rovers in the local area. There is no reason to pass up an opportunity to at least go touch and feel another Series. I was really surprised at how sad this Rover was. I have seen better quality Series in piles and pieces in an open barn then this truck looks all toegther.

I had similar thoughts of making a low offer. I wasn't looking to part it out, but maybe as a longer term project...or a stepping stone to something better. Who knows! Lowball offers are in my price range right now.

Thanks!

highmile
11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Well, I haven't actually made any kind of offer, but he has said he is negotiable, but is not going to let it go for cheap. The truck does have a Salisbury rear end and a newer 5 bearing engine which he says is well worth the asking price alone. I don't think this is the next truck for me, but I guess he has somebody else that is interested just in the engine and rear end. oh well!

yorker
11-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I sold the NADA that I only paid $1250 for.!

Doh!:nono:

highmile
11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I know, I know! I probably should not have sold the NADA. The more I see other Series, I realize how little rust was on that truck. I needed some of the funds from selling the truck for some other family needs at the time. I sold it for $5750 which I think was a very fair price for a non-running NADA. Of course, the new owner took it to a local Land Rover mechanic and they were able to get it started with the hand crank the next day. Doh! It had other mechanica issues, but I always wanted to get it started, but I had no luck. I hope to find something that is running this time around.

Jeff Aronson
11-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I had always thought that British Leyland did not add "go faster" stripes to Land Rovers until the later '70's, with the addition of the County models. I know that no NADA imports came over that way.

A 1971 Rover would still be a Series II-A, without the Series III plastic grill on this one. The interior gauge setup and fascia look just like a late II-A but the gearshift and emergency brake are out of a Series III. The door hinges are the same as those on my II-A, not the flat hinges of the Series III. t's probably been repainted as the galvanized trim is totally covered up. That Smith's heater struggles to keep an 88" warm, let alone a 109".

The car is unlikely to be a genuine '71; it's likely to be a "bitsa," a bit of this and a bit of that.

The price is high considering the cost of a frame, bulkhead repair, and all things that get replaced with a frame [springs, swivels, brakes, wiring harness and brake lines, transmission and motor mounts, etc. It's worth would be determined by the amount of work you want to do - kudos to you if you take this on and refurbish this car!

Jeff