PDA

View Full Version : Front Prop Shaft Length

bullstanky
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Is have a SIII 109" with a Ford Transit Diesel transplant. When I recently swapped in parabolics, the change in ride height caused the front prop shaft to hit the back of the engine casting. The shaft didn't break, but the bell shape covering where the splines enter the shaft has broken off.

I'm planning on replacing the shaft and notching the back of the engine casting - is the front shaft on a SIII 109" the same part as on the 88"?

SafeAirOne
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
I hate to be lazy here, but why don't you just check to see if there is a different part number for an 88 and 109 prop shaft in our hosts online catalog?

TeriAnn
11-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Custom prop shafts are often less than genuine land Rover and not that more expensive than cheapie aftermarket propshafts.

Measure the distance between the diff & transfercase mounting flanges and give Great Basin Land Rovers a call.

You want the right length propshaft for YOUR Land Rover. Too short or too long and you break things if you take your LR off road.

When I had Great Basin Rovers build my new front propshaft I opted for a longer than stock slip joint, high angle U joints and a smaller diameter shaft where it passes by the bell housing. And of course it was the right length for my Land Rover.