PDA

View Full Version : the more I crawl under my truck to check for the leak of the week...

dansalisbury72
11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
... the more parts I see missing or not installed correctly. My latest find is the crankcase vent system. I was not completely familiar with the way the crankcase vent system should be set up on a 2.6L, but it did look odd to me that the engine oil breather had an elbow on it and that is where things ended (but then again back in the day a lot of things were just vented to atmosphere, right?). After referring to a 2.6L workshop manual that came with my truck I was able to decipher about 80% of how the system SHOULD look like - most notably that I am missing the crankcase vent contol unit and all adjoining hoses, which according to the diagram in my manual looks like it is mounted to the air cleaner housing bracket.
My main question for the forum is where does the tube end up going that leaves the crankcase vent control unit? Where does that plug back into the motor? Can't seem to find that in any diagrams.

thanks...

Dan

Linus Tremaine
11-23-2008, 03:51 PM
the system should go from the box on the side of the block, to the diaphragm mounted on the side of the air cleaner. Then, it goes back to the intake manifold.There are two ports (IIRC) on the manifold. Mine has a banjo fitting on one of those ports with a hose barb sticking out. That is where the hose from the diaphragm goes.

The diaphragms are NLA from rover, but I think they can be had from mg etc. specialits.

dansalisbury72
11-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Linus - thanks for the note. Is that banjo fitting under the air cleaner housing?

thanks...

Dan

Linus Tremaine
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
It would be mostly obscured by the air filter housing. The vacuum take off for the power brake booster is under there too.

It occupies the other of the two ports in the intake manifold.

dansalisbury72
11-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Is the vacuum take off a metal tube? I have a metal tube coming out of one of those ports (the rear most port), which ends up right over near where the diaphram should be. That tube is capped off and goes nowhere on my truck.