PDA

View Full Version : Sound of rushing water - help

nicktulloh
11-24-2008, 08:44 AM
When I accelerate from a stop, I hear the sound of rushing water from below the floorboards. Might I have a leak from the heater matrix or somewhere (I assume it's coolant since it obviously isn't frozen)?

Anybody?

Fortymiledesert
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Check the easy stuff out first:
1) Make sure that the drains at the bottoms of all of the doors are clear.
2) Check for plugged drain holes on bottom of frame.
3) Remove the five gallon jug of water from rear cargo area.
4) Remove jerry can of gasoline from rear cargo area.
5) Check the fresh air intake plenum in front of windshield (raise hood).
6) Sunroof drains?

Hammer38
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
A/C drains could be an issue also. We always popped 'em out during services because of the humidity down here. Are you sure it's from the flooeboard & not the dash area? That could be a sign of a coolant leak/air in the cooling system.

nicktulloh
12-12-2008, 12:20 AM
A/C drains could be an issue also. We always popped 'em out during services because of the humidity down here. Are you sure it's from the flooeboard & not the dash area? That could be a sign of a coolant leak/air in the cooling system.

Bled system and sound went away. Tank down a fair bit so final decision pending.

TNdisco2
12-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Nicktulloh, I have the exact same thing going on with my '02. I started hearing the gushing sound behind the glovebox and was told to check for leaks. I found a leak in the small hose that runs from the radiator to the expansion tank where it attaches at the top of the radiator. Got it all fixed, fluid topped off and still have the gushing sound. Any ideas on how to get rid of the gushing sound? Can you expand on how you bled the system? Thanks.

nicktulloh
12-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Nicktulloh, I have the exact same thing going on with my '02. I started hearing the gushing sound behind the glovebox and was told to check for leaks. I found a leak in the small hose that runs from the radiator to the expansion tank where it attaches at the top of the radiator. Got it all fixed, fluid topped off and still have the gushing sound. Any ideas on how to get rid of the gushing sound? Can you expand on how you bled the system? Thanks.

Sorry, I can't, the shop did it. Precision in Portsmouth, NH. Whatever they did, the sound is gone.

detroitdozer
12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I had the same sound on my '99 DII and it is definitely a coolant issue and what you hear is the sound of air pressure being injected into the system. In my case is was being caused by leaks in my headgaskets. Fortunately these were not leaking coolant into the motor but leaking compression into the cooling system. Which on a higher milage DII if you have not done the headgaskets already you will need to, pretty much a given. Once the work was done and after one coolant top off after the procedeure.....no more water fall sound behind my dash.

artemis43
01-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I had the same sound on my '99 DII and it is definitely a coolant issue and what you hear is the sound of air pressure being injected into the system. In my case is was being caused by leaks in my headgaskets. Fortunately these were not leaking coolant into the motor but leaking compression into the cooling system. Which on a higher milage DII if you have not done the headgaskets already you will need to, pretty much a given. Once the work was done and after one coolant top off after the procedeure.....no more water fall sound behind my dash.

I have the same problem, but with water appearing on my floor board now & then when I run air conditioning. My car has recently overheated, very near the red zone several times, but I have pulled over immediately for it to cool down. I replaced the thermostat about a year ago, which seemed to cure the overheating issue - but the water still gushes around. Yesterday, it overheated again, I pulled over again, cooled it down, filled coolant, drove it home, parked it, filled it with coolant - routinely checked the oil and found coolant mixed in it. Head gaskets? Warped? Cracked? Lower liner??? How can I determine any of this? I know I can replace a bunch of stuff and still have trouble. I definitely need some guidance approaching this possible horror story.

Thanks, artemis43:confused: