PDA

View Full Version : Where would I get a wiring harness?

CLIFF
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
For my 67 land rover? And how much? Thax.

Eric W S
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Our hosts have them. Check the catalog.

EwS

109 Pretender
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Ditto Eric's reply on factory harness.
If you need some "custom" wiring and want it original - Rhode Island Wiring carries all the British color coded wiring and also has the Lucas bullet conn.'s and clear plastic covers for spade connectors. All these items can be purchased in bulk.

cheers!

thixon
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Cliff,

If your staying the original route, then you can go with a loom from our hosts. If you don't care about staying original, then you can go with a hotrod harness from ezwiring or painless wiring. They require some imagination to install, but offer blade style fuses, dedicated fused circuits, and the opportunity for easy expansion if you decide to add more lighting, a stereo, a winch, etc.

Good luck, and post if you have more questions.

s.a.marsh
12-05-2008, 12:06 AM
What shape is your old harness in?I have a 1971 ll-A and i'd like to get a look at an original type harness. I probably have enough wire to make an extra one or two, .My electrics all work, but there are some mouse-chewed sections and the lucas generator has been replaced, leaving a few loose ends.I don't want to take mine apart because it does still work.

greenmeanie
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm with Thixon here.
From the threads below you will gather that the OEM harness designed in the 60's has a lot of shortcomings. Notably you can make a lot of improvements in the lighting circuit and a proper fuse box.

Unless you are doing a concourse restoration for show your money is far better spent on a modern harness. Designing electrical systems is not that difficult but it really pays to document everything with a circuit diagram and a pin out diagram for each connector.

I feel the whole crimp/solder arguement coming on. Speaking to people who are mil std qualified to build harnesses the answer is that both have their place. The most important thing to do is ensure that you strain relieve each joint and properly support them.

For reference, if you can get hold of them, everything you need to know is in MIL-STD-454 and crimp spec MIL-T-7928. I've just forgotten the solder spec but IIRC it is referenced in MIL-STD-454.