PDA

View Full Version : fan belt for a 2.6L

dansalisbury72
11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
does anyone know which NAPA (or other readily available brand name) fan belt fits a 2.6L motor? Need one soonest.

thanks...

Dan

Linus Tremaine
11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
My truck is converted to an alternator, cant help you there. Take the old one off and have them match it, shouldnt be a problem.

dansalisbury72
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
that is the back up plan - was hoping to buy it first then take it home for the swap out - hopefully before the current one breaks.

Which alternator did you use? One from RN or another? That is another project that I need to do in the near future.

thanks...

Dan

Linus Tremaine
11-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Dan,
I have a delco 10si in mine. It was fitted with an alternator when I got it and has a custom made bracket. Its a little harder to fit an alternator to a six pot than to a 2.25. The bracket is a little bit more complex, but it can be done.

I suggest a delco unit, they are easy to come by and not terribly expensive.

Leslie
11-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Not that this is gonna help w/ the 2.6, but when I replaced my Lucas alt w/ a Delco, I actually managed to keep the same fanbelt... you can get a 10si from a local parts store, for a quarter of the price of a Lucas, but with twice the output, with a lifetime replacement warranty on it.

dansalisbury72
11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
who typically carries the Delco brand? I looked into that when I first got the truck and remember stopping at 2 different auto part chains and neither carried Delco.

thanks...

Dan

Linus Tremaine
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
got mine at napa. they probably wont know what a delco 10si is so you might have to ask for an alternator for a 60s or 70s chevy.

Red this website for good information about alternator conversions:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml