PDA

View Full Version : 2.6L oil capacity question

dansalisbury72
11-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all -

I have had the truck on the road for about 3 months now so I decided to do an oil change today. I pulled out my collection of Series Land Rover manuals to guide me in the process, and found some conflicting information.

According to page 19 in the 'Land Rover Series IIA & IIB Instruction Manual, Part No. LSM 64 IM, ' the oil capacity for a 6 cylinder model is 5.5L/11.5 US pints.

According to page 3 of section AO in the 'Workshop Manual Supplement covering the 109 Station Wagon with 2.6L 6 cylinder engine,' the oil capacity is 8.5L/18 US pints.

Obviously quite a difference in capacity. Which is correct?

34400035A is my motor serial number.

thanks...

Dan in NC

Linus Tremaine
11-30-2008, 04:47 PM
I would trust only the NADA 2.6 litre workshop manual supplement.

Sump Capacity:

15 imperial pints
(18 us pints)

plus 1 imperial pint
(1.2 us pints) after replacing engine oil filter element

Regardless of what the print says, the dipstick is probably the best way to determine how much oil to put in your engine.

dansalisbury72
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I have been going by the hashmarks on the dipstick since the truck has been on the road (about 3 months now), and am now wondering if this is even the correct dipstick, as I only drained about 4.5L of oil out of the truck (including the filter canister) during the oil change this weekend.

I only put in the low end amount but will go back and add the extra to top it off at 9L total. Wow, that is a lot of oil.

thanks...

Dan

Linus Tremaine
11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I wonder if that is the volume of the sump pan itself or if its the amount oil you are supposed to put in to it?

I dont recall how much oil I put in mine exactly its almost 8 quarts IIRC. I buy it by the gallon and use one and a half at least.