PDA

View Full Version : Slop in throttle linkage

CapHill
11-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I have a LHD Series III with an original throttle linkage setup that originally went goes to a Stromberg (Zenith 175) carb. There is some slop in the linkage making it difficult to adjust the idle to its normal low speed unless I move the linkage up by hand. But that only works until the next time I depress the accelerator. Turning the idle screw down does nothing below a certain point. Is this likely to be corrected just with a new throttle return spring, a thorough cleaning of all linkage parts, or is the fix more complicated, perhaps requiring some kind or realignment?

Thanks for your help.

Daurie
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
When you disconnect the linkage that connects the carb to the vehicle mounted linkage will the carb return to idle position on its own? I'm not clear on if the slop you're describing is carburetor linkage or the rover mounted linkage. Either way a properly installed return spring should bring everything back to idle. The carb screw should be the only thing determining the idle setting (obviously). A little more info will help.

CapHill
11-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I haven't (yet) disconnected the linkage to the carb but everything seems to point to the problem being in the Rover linkage and not the carb. Probably the first thing I need to do is give every linkage part a thorough cleaning. Thanks.

Bertha
11-28-2008, 03:05 PM
you need to disconnect the linkage to the carb first, and see if you can adjust the carb, before messing around with the linkage.

CapHill
11-28-2008, 04:42 PM
I understand. Thank you.

sayers
11-28-2008, 05:50 PM
is the zenith a new one ? if so when did you buy it. I bouight a new one and had some problems with it, faulty workmanship at the factory. The idle screw kept working its way out everytime I push on the gas pedal. It did not seat correctly. just a thought. I have the orginal linkage in my 74 and have not had any problems with the carb or linkage since I did a quick fix on the idlel screw.

Momo
11-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Sounds like purely a return spring problem to me. Even with slop in the joints, a good spring will do its job.