PDA

View Full Version : info on front hubs

Donnie
11-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi team, I see that WARN hubs seem to be all over the place..that is very common??? On my 1967 109 rhd wagen the hubs must be turned in by a spanner..On my halfbreed, that is a 109 chassis with an 88 top, 2 foot bed pickup, the previous owner built this truck with a Ford 302, & several other mods, It is equipped with Fairey hubs...They have a rather hefty knob to access the hubs....I am just seeking comments on these 2 (at least to me) styles of hubs, thanks,Donnie:confused:

leafsprung
11-28-2008, 07:15 PM
The hubs you have on your 67 are MAP they are very good. The others you have are fairey, they are not nearly as good. The warns M-11s are good as well. You can see more hubs here:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/fwh/fwh.html

usadventureracing
11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
My 88 is all wheel drive all the time and I am new to this so be kind....is there something out there that I can install to make it a 2 wheel drive and add locking hubs. If so does anyone have any suggestion on hubs. Thanks

Apis Mellifera
11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Pushing the red knob forward and confirming that the yellow knob is up would be 2WD. You don't need to install anything to make it 2WD. If it won't go out of 4WD in the above configuration, something isn't right in your transfer case.

I'm very happy with the Warn hubs on my SIII.

LaneRover
11-30-2008, 07:05 AM
I had a Rover (wait I still have it so I have a Rover that isn't currently running) that I had to use a bungi to hold the lever up as it liked to slip back down into 4WD.

If you are new to this, how do you know that it is staying in 4WD? Is the steering fighting you around corners? Or are you assuming that it is always 4WD because the hubs are not unlockable? Apis is right in his previous post when he says that you should pull the red knob back and watch for the yellow knob to pop up, and make sure it stays up - if the spring is missing it can go back down.

Rovers were designed to work without lockable hubs. Folks put lockable hubs on them after they left the factory. Stock Rovers without lockable hubs can easily switch between 2WD and 4WD. But when stock (or with locked hubs) the front axle's internal bits will still be turning when in 2WD - but the transfer case is not providing any power to the front axle. In a sense it is like a bicycle, the bike's rear wheel is rolling and you are providing power to it - but the front wheel is still turning.

I am sorry if I am explaining things you know but you mentioned you are new to this. All of us were knew to this at some time!

Brent

usadventureracing
11-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Thank you I was not aware that of this (pushing red knob forward). I knew it was in 4wd because it is pulling around corners.

Daurie
11-30-2008, 08:49 AM
It is different from the typical transfer case control. To clarify:
1. red knob forward with yellow knob up is 2wd
2. push down yellow knob for 4wd high range (yellow knob stays down)
3. pull back red knob, (yellow knob pops up) for 4wd low range

Be aware that there is a neutral setting between red knob forward and rearward. The only way to get the truck from 4wd high to 2wd high is to move the red selector all the way back into 4wd low and then back forward making sure the yellow selector pops up.

Have fun!
Daurie