PDA

View Full Version : radiator removal

carp12
11-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Having heater problems 2001 Disco II...replaced water pump thermostat and had system flushed.... heat comes and goes . would like to remove radiator and heater core and have professionally dipped and flushed steps to remove both???

Hammer38
11-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Heater core's gonna be a big job. In 6 years, I don't think I ever removed one. Honestly, it's probably not your problem. If you go to the trouble of removing the dash, you might as well get a new one, not have yours "repaired."

The radiator is fairly simple. Remove the fan & shroud. (drain coolant first, obviously). Remove the air box & battery box also. There are some plastic thingamijigs on both sides that have slots that hold the tranny cooler & condenser. Look for the correct screws & remove these. There's also some 10mm bolts that hold the radiator to this. Without actually showing you this, it's difficult to explain. Try to access a repair manual, but be warned, they will tell you to remove the coolers in front & a bunch of other unnecessary stuff. Just study it carefully and you should be able to figure it out.

On another note, you may just have an air bubble in the system causing this. Bleed the system first and check it out. If there's no external leaks on the radiator, it's probably ok.

carp12
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks Hammer..... We've bled system several times no improvement. The only reason thought might be radiator is that only top half is hot and bottom third is cool to touch along with the bottom hose to thermostat I'll tackle the radiator first based on you advice about heater manifold.

Hammer38
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
SOunds like the radiator is blocked....Good luck!:thumb-up: