• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pschmid
    Low Range
    • Nov 2008

wheel options for series III?

Hi - I am new to forum.

I saw the series III pic at rovers north has a set of alloy wheels. does anyone know if newer alloys will fit on my series III 1973?

My old steel wheels are in sorry shape, but they are 16" with some tire from south africa. I didn't put them on. tires are in good shape.

thanks!

Peter S
  • leafsprung
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

wheels

It takes a little work to fit the alloys but the RR/Disco 1, d90 rims have the same bolt pattern as the series and can be made to fit. If I remember, the center caps wont fit over the stock series dust caps. Alloy wheels are for rappers Get yourself some new steelies.

Comment

• Leslie
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

Peter, that one is probably on coil-sprung axles, is why it has alloys. As Ike said, the bolt pattern is right, but they can't go onto a Series' hub, unless you either bore out the wheel's center a bit, or convert to disc brakes.

Much easier, go with some steel wheels. RN has wheels, you might find some locally to save on shipping, and steel wheels, etc. There's another thread on here about different wheels for a Series, go check it out, see if it helps you out.
      -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
      '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• SafeAirOne
        Overdrive
        • Apr 2008

my 2 cents...

I've got the black NATO "wolf" steel wheels and love them. They are extremely heavy-duty, look right and I can use "normal" tires.
        --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
        (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• jp-
          5th Gear
          • Oct 2006

Just curious, but has anyone actually weighed a stock 16" rover steel, vs an aluminum 16"? I'd be very curious. The steel is only about 1/8" if that, and the aluminum looks to be 1" or so at the spokes.
          61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
          66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
          66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
          67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
          88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• pschmid
            Low Range
            • Nov 2008

thanks

appreciate the thoughts. I think I'll just go new 16". I think the stock was 15"

I must not have looked closely at the RN site, I couldn't find the wheels!

Comment

Working...