PDA

View Full Version : S2A gearbox rebuild

buaja.lr
12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I bought all new parts for a S2A gearbox rebuild including a new distance sleeve. When I do the end float check on the 3rd gear (mainshaft) I do not get any end float. The manual says "In the event of insuffucient clearance, a new sleeve must be fitted". Anyone have any suggestions?

greenmeanie
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I ran into this problem when I did mine. First thing to do is check the length of the land on the original gear and compare it to your new one. I found my new gear to be .060 longer with the results you describe. Of course, I had to learn the hard way by buying 3 different sleeves before deciding the gear was the problem. If that's the case the only real solution is a new gear.

It was Genuine Parts too which shows that they also have problems.

jp-
12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Can you not take the gear to a machine shop and let them surface grind .060" off of it?

greenmeanie
12-01-2008, 01:24 PM
You could but from memory there are also some oil features in the faces which woudl need to be put back in. I'd be interested to compare the cost of a decent machine shop doing a face grind vs just buying a new gear.

As I presume you bought the parts from a reputable supplier I am sure they would be happy to send you a replacement if it turns out the part is wrong. Probably more time but definitely cheaper.