PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank Leak!?!?

KelseyM
12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
So I got my Rover back on the road this past week and I smelled gasoline everytime I got near the truck. I looked underneath and saw that the gas tank had gas on the sides of the tank and the drainage bolt. I know that the tank was replaced once already. The only reason I could think of is that gas sat in the tank for about a year, probaly a couple gallons. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hammer38
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
There's been a couple of recalls on these tanks. Check with local dealership. If not, replace then tank. They can leak at the seams. Common problem.

KelseyM
12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Will the Dealer replace the tank for free? Is there tanks that wont leak from the seals so I only have to do this once?

Hammer38
12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Will the Dealer replace the tank for free? Is there tanks that wont leak from the seals so I only have to do this once?

The recall covered all vehicles, & yes it was free. However, they might try to sell you a fuel pump. We had problems w/removing the pumps & putting them in the new tanks and behold, a week later, the fuel pump went out. This was not covered. If the pump is the original one, I'd replace it.

As far as never leaking again. Well, it is a Rover. You shouldn't have a problem. If the leak is from the one of the seals, however, it may not be covered under the recall. Call the dealership & ask about the recall only. They should have it in their database. Remember, safety recalls never expire.

KelseyM
12-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Ok, I will check it out ASAP, THANKS!!!

ctrangie
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
If your tank is plastic it has probably already been replaced in the recall. If it is metal it probably hasn't been done yet.

KelseyM
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Getting fixed by the dealer on Monday!
Cost $0.00:)

Hammer38
12-12-2008, 05:28 PM

You owe me a beer for the heads up!:thumb-up:

KelseyM
12-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Definitely, but you'll have to wait about 2 years unless they change the drinking age haha...:D

Hammer38
12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
If your tank is plastic it has probably already been replaced in the recall. If it is metal it probably hasn't been done yet.

Actually, they had a recall on the plastic tanks too. I think up to '96 on the Discos and all of the Classics.

joshua.mcguoirk
01-03-2009, 02:58 PM

My '96 D1 went in for the recall. I had them replace the pump as they had to reuse the old one. This can be a real PITA if an old pump goes in a new tank... the tank will have to come out again. Replace the filter too whist your at it. Old filters will can over tax a pump.

Cheers.

KelseyM
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
My '96 D1 went in for the recall. I had them replace the pump as they had to reuse the old one. This can be a real PITA if an old pump goes in a new tank... the tank will have to come out again. Replace the filter too whist your at it. Old filters will can over tax a pump.

Cheers.

Yea I was thinking about doing that, but even with the tank being free I still couldnt afford to replace the fuel pump. I noticed that where my nozzle is it seems that they drilled out two holes and f$*%ed it all up, but wasnt about to complain, just happy my tank isnt leaking anymore and it was free

Hammer38
01-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Cheers.

You can replaced the pump by through the access hole under the carpet in the cargo area. Shouldn't take more than an hour. If someone tells you the tank must come out, you're getting lied to.