PDA

View Full Version : Do turns signals have to be amber?

BGGB
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a 65' 88 that is getting ready for inspection, however my dad said that he thinks that the front turn signals have to be yellow. i thought i've seen other series with clear glass though. when i did the restoration i replaced both turn signal and running lights with the clear low profile glass. If anyone knows if i can get away with these clear lenses that would be great. also i live in pa if its a state thing. thank you for any input

Hormel
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
BGGB,
I don't know about your state law, but I have amber bulbs behind the clear glass turn signal lens, this is not really noticeable until it is blinking.

Of course on mine the signal is the large domed not the flat one, just goes to prove each LR is a little different.
John

Terrys
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
You will be fine. Vehicles manufactured prior to the change from Red(Rear) and Clear (front) were not required to retrofitted with amber lenses on the indicators. It doesn't matter whether the vehicle was continuously registered, or off the road, and being re-registered, as you're doing.

SafeAirOne
12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Two things....

1) If it were me, I'd just bring it down to get it inspected. I doubt that they'll fail the truck because the front turn signals aren't amber. If they do, you're taking it to the wrong place to get it inspected. Plus, it's an easy fix using the amber bulbs mentioned in a previous post.

and...

2) I endeavor to get to a point where the color of the turn signas lenses was my greatest pre-inspection concern. Unfortunately, my worries are more along the lines of an iffy outrigger and the large oil slick I seem to be parked over, no matter where I park. :(

Jeff Aronson
12-02-2008, 09:09 AM
It will really depend on what state you live in and how fussy they are about the car being equipped consistent with its year of manufacture. My experiences are only in Vermont and Maine, where it seemed only to be important that the turn signal actually worked. I doubt that most inspection stations even have information on such old models.

As noted above, however, it's easy to get an amber bulb if you find yourself in a problem.

Good luck with inspection - it always causes some heartache.

Jeff

Andrew IIA
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
It will really depend on what state you live in and how fussy they are about the car being equipped consistent with its year of manufacture. My experiences are only in Vermont and Maine, where it seemed only to be important that the turn signal actually worked. I doubt that most inspection stations even have information on such old models. Jeff

x2 on that. I have clear (with a lavender hue from age) signal lenses on the front of my '63. Never a problem with inspection in NY.

YMMV, Andrew

Blueboy
12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
also i live in pa

as a fellow Pennsylvanian, I never had a problem with clear lens in the front for inspections.

however, I decided to just get antique plates and not worry about inspections or yearly registrations.

it makes it much easier.

Jaime

TeriAnn
12-02-2008, 07:37 PM
when i did the restoration i replaced both turn signal and running lights with the clear low profile glass.

Ummm the low profile parking lamps take a smaller, lower wattage bulb than the bigger beehive turn signal lamp. You may want to revisit that idea for safety.

While on safety, the amber lights are easier to see.

lrdukdog
12-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I just gave the inside of the cover a quick spray with "Testers" orange day glow. It came out great and was very bright for a turn signal.
Jim Wolf