PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my drums and all brakes shoes Help!

Mike Kennedy
01-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I have a 1967 Ser. IIa 88 that needed a serious overall brake job. All is completed, yet I'm having some problems following the origional repair operation manual regarding the placement location of the upper return spring. It appears that the longer end of the spring belongs on the "spring post" located on the brake shoe. But where does the other end connect? It seams like it should attach to the hole of the other shoe at the same level, but it is very hard to connect (I can but it seams very tight) -- the alturnative is to connect it to an existing "post" located on the back anchor plate. Any clue from fellow Rover folks to aid in my seemingly simple (but still stupid) delema? Also, does the brake adjustment cam attached to the back plate push on the bottom side of the brake shoe? It doesn't appear to be able to touch the shoe the way I currently have them installed?? Thanks for your advice in advance! Mike

singingcamel
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
it goes to the rear trailing shoe..if i'm understanding you right?
if the cam is not touching the adjustment cam, there not on right.you may need to reverse the shoes.

Mike Kennedy
01-07-2007, 10:17 PM
OK Thanks -- The break post located on the leading shoe is now faceing out. Should I instead install the leading shoe so the post on the shoe is facing in? if I do, the spring would have to be in stalled "in back" of both shoes -- but this would provide the post to be inside and next to the adjustment cam that is attached to the rear plate -- Is this the correct way to install the shoes? This does not appear to be the way the diagram in the manual is showing but I admit it's confusing to me. Mike

a109
01-08-2007, 09:37 AM
If you brakes have one adjuster cam per wheel the upper spring goes from the leading shoe to the peg on the backing plate. Do not connect the spring between the two shoes or you will never get a good pedal.
The pegs on the shoes do go inward so that the adjuster cam rides on the peg of the leading shoe.

John

Mike Kennedy
01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the response a109- I understand and it worked perfectly!

Mike

singingcamel
01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
OK Thanks -- The break post located on the leading shoe is now faceing out. Should I instead install the leading shoe so the post on the shoe is facing in? if I do, the spring would have to be in stalled "in back" of both shoes -- but this would provide the post to be inside and next to the adjustment cam that is attached to the rear plate -- Is this the correct way to install the shoes? This does not appear to be the way the diagram in the manual is showing but I admit it's confusing to me. Mike
the post should ride on the cam,