PDA

View Full Version : Great Satirical View of the Hummer

Jeff Aronson
12-03-2008, 11:35 AM
It's hard not to like The Colbert Report, so when he did a piece on the National Hummer Club, I had to see it online.

Here's the link. (http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/will-181-gas-or-russia-save-hummer/?hp)

There's some moments that will give Land Rover enthusiasts pause, but overall, I had to laugh.

Jeff

LaneRover
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Wait, I could have machine guns on my Rover?

leafsprung
12-03-2008, 08:24 PM
fake machine guns . . .

Rineheitzgabot
12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
It's hard not to like The Colbert Report, so when he did a piece on the National Hummer Club, I had to see it online.

Here's the link. (http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/will-181-gas-or-russia-save-hummer/?hp)

There's some moments that will give Land Rover enthusiasts pause, but overall, I had to laugh.

Jeff

Yes. Always great to see those that take themselves so seriously, be made fun of. Who better to do it than Colbert? He is great.

Also funny to see Hummers being poked at. However, clearly, the whole "wheeling" thing was being made fun of, during the vid clip?!

I must say that I felt defensive about the wheeling bashing, and even the poor guys being targeted (even though they were driving Hummers), but then came back to reality, and recollected my sense of humor. :D

Tim Smith
12-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I must say that I felt defensive about the wheeling bashing, and even the poor guys being targeted (even though they were driving Hummers), but then came back to reality, and recollected my sense of humor. :DBut knowing Colbert, he probably wheels in real life although his character must by default take the other side.

Funny show so long as you have a sense of humor about the devils advocate.

LaneRover
12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
fake machine guns . . .

not necessarily . . . .

. . . unlike the guy in the video I would not do it just to be a poser. . . . . .of course with the age of my Rovers that would mean that I would probably be chastized for not having it painted pink....

scott
12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
the green terrorist should be glad there's no MRAPclubs out there. as for machine guns real or fake, i'm building a turret mounted potato gun

xsbowes
12-04-2008, 02:21 PM
the green terrorist should be glad there's no MRAPclubs out there. as for machine guns real or fake, i'm building a turret mounted potato gun

http://www.armyvehicles.dk/images/laro88halfton.jpg

jp-
12-04-2008, 07:35 PM
In Mississippi it's completely legal to have loaded guns in the car.

I can also shoot you in my yard in broad daylight...

Totally legal.

Yeah, there are a few benefits to living here.

leafsprung
12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I can also shoot you in my yard in broad daylight...

Totally legal.

Yeah, there are a few benefits to living here.

I'm so jealous. I was itching to blast some girlscouts on my front lawn the other day. If only I lived in Mississippi Id be munching some free Thin Mints right now :rolleyes:

Tim Smith
12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah well in Manhattan it's illegal to have a shovel or pick axe mounted on the outside of your car. Don't ask me how I know.

I guess there is a reason for every law. That's what has me wondering...

yorker
12-04-2008, 08:21 PM
not necessarily . . . .

. . . unlike the guy in the video I would not do it just to be a poser. . . . . .of course with the age of my Rovers that would mean that I would probably be chastized for not having it painted pink....

Do they still do the Hiram Maxim shoot in Dover-Foxcroft?

yorker
12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah well in Manhattan it's illegal to have a shovel or pick axe mounted on the outside of your car. Don't ask me how I know.

I guess there is a reason for every law. That's what has me wondering...

That is kind of odd- I wonder what the reason for that is?

FWIW don't carry any of those clip on pocket knives there either...:sly:

Tim Smith
12-04-2008, 08:46 PM
That is kind of odd- I wonder what the reason for that is? Something about public menace. Of course he could have been talking about my driving habits too as I tend to push around the cab drivers instead of the other way around.

I've also been stopped for carrying propane tanks over the GWB too, but that one kind of makes sense to me. In a ridiculous sort of way.

FWIW don't carry any of those clip on pocket knives there either...:sly:Yeah well my friend carried a .223 on the commuter train and into grand central and then onto the 6 train to bring it back to his apartment in the village for safe keeping.

He told me that a cop saw him on the subway in his business clothes then looked at the gun case, looked at him again and then turned and walked the other way. My friend loves that story.

This was all before 9-11. Things ran a little differently back then.