PDA

View Full Version : New Series owner, old hat with Rovers

mechman
12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Frank, and I am a Rover owner.

I've recently purchased my first Series Rover, a Marine blue 1960 Series II NADA 88 hardtop. It has a Fairey overdrive, accessory heater (kind of a rig job, but it seems to work OK), 12v negative earth electrics with an alternator conversion, and is 100% complete and working. The motor purrs beautifully, and even the tires are nice. It needs frame horns and a rear crossmember desperately, but otherwise the frame looks pretty clean. I understand it was a rich man's toy...

I'm a former Series mechanic (though I work on most any antique European vehicles). I worked for a few years (several years ago) at a local Rover shop, mainly on ex-NATO IIA's and III's (oh boy do I know those rectified AC 24v systems), though I've worked on just about every type of truck LR made up to the HSE. And a few Rover sedans. I've never actually owned a Rover before, however - I've been more of a VW/Porsche guy. I'm VERY happy that I can finally join the owners' club. :D

I'm looking forward to getting to know the crowd here. When working for the Rover shop I found that Series owners generally fit one of two types - the **** British car nuts who wanted everything to be factory perfect, and the (much more common) laid-back wheelin' type who took their machines out into the wild and got them muddy. I'm definitely one of the latter group! ;)

Mech

BackInA88
12-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Welcome Frank :thumb-up:
Great bunch of guys here always willing to help although it sounds like you will be doing most of the helping with your experience.;)

Now let's see some pictures of your rig!

Steve

LaneRover
12-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi everyone!

My name is Frank, and I am a Rover owner.

It has a Fairey overdrive, accessory heater (kind of a rig job, but it seems to work OK)

two types - the **** British car nuts who wanted everything to be factory perfect, and the (much more common) laid-back wheelin' type who took their machines out into the wild and got them muddy. I'm definitely one of the latter group! ;)

Mech

Yes, Rover's at times do resemble some sort of 12 step program

If the accessory heater seems to work OK in a Rover then it must work really well considering how drafty some Rovers are!

We got both kinds here too. County and Western!

Tim Smith
12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Welcome aboard Mech! Or is Frank your handle?

thixon
12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Welcome Frank!

Glad to see a new member. Sounds like you'll have quite a bit to contribute to the group. Congrats on the new purchase!

mechman
12-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, thanks a bunch guys! I'll be more than happy to help as I can. My time online is a bit limited, as I currently have two jobs (I fix Zambonis and work for the government). I'm hoping to have a bit of time come spring to turn a wrench for myself again, but until it warms up outside I'm going to stick with getting it on the road.

But if anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away! It's been a few years since I left the Rover shop, I may need to occasionally look at a diagram to refresh my memory, but many of the specific issues that I dealt with time and again (as well as a few of the weirder ones) are still fresh. Anyone with a 24v (specifically FFR) rig have problems with your ignition? Betcha it's not the coil... or the dizzy... or it wasn't to begin with... :D

Mechman (the handle) / Frank (the name)

SeriesShorty
12-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Welcome Frank! Do not, I repeat, do not be alarmed by a completely full inbox. Now that you have outed yourself as a 24volt FFR guru I may hit you up much more than you like. hehe

But seriously, it is very good to have you aboard, I'm sure your contributions will be helpful to all.

:thumb-up: