PDA

View Full Version : wiring harness

yank
12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I am replacing my rear tub soon and thought it would be a good time to rewire the lights. I found this on ebay, any thoughts?
Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-Universal-11-circuit-wiring-kit_W0QQitemZ180133497833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item180133497833&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

mechman
12-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, that's a complete basic car harness, minus 4-ways. I'd say you probably would want at least a couple more fused circuits, especially if you are considering a radio and winch.

If you just want to rewire your rear lights (assuming the rest of your harness is peachy), get the correct rear tub harness from our hosts. It'll save you a lot of aggravation - the colors will be correct and it'll just drop in.

Mech

yank
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Whats is the difference between the 11A and S3 harness besides $230

mechman
12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Lots of differences. IIA's had dual wiper motors, III's a single motor and linkage. The switches are completely different and are in different locations (column stalks versus in the dash). The list goes on and on... The upshot is, they are very different harnesses for very different models.

I'm guessing that you have a IIA?

IMO, if you just need a rear harness (and not everything behind the dash, too), just get the right color wires and proper connectors and make it yourself. It's not all that difficult to do. Take the old rear harness out (easy if your tub is off), take a picture of it. Split the casing and measure the wires, then cut new ones to match and crimp or solder on new terminals. I like to put shrink tubing over the connections, but that's your call. Then use either tape or shrink tubing to hold the wires together, like the original. With the proper materials on hand and the old harness out, it only takes me about an hour or so to make a new one. But it's kind of a bear to run a new rear harness when the tub is on... BTDT.

Mech

yank
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I have a S3, or the $310 one. The IIA is $80 those prices are just the tub harness.
I looked into making one and its around $60 for wire and misc stuff. The kits looked like a good deal $

mechman
12-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Ahh, OK. If I remember right, the SIII rear harness is a bit more involved behind the dash than the IIA, and if I remember right the III has reverse lights where the IIA does not. But it's been a few years since I had one apart. And I never had to pay for one - the boss (and customer) did that. :D

Again, the problem with the kit is that it's overkill for what you want to do (just a tub harness, right?), not to mention the wires will be the wrong colors. If you ever pull the rear lights off in the future, a factory wiring diagram won't help you put it back together. But if you decide to go for it, I'm sure you'll be able to make it work. Lights are pretty easy to wire up.

Mech