PDA

View Full Version : tranmission troubles?

roveroffroader
01-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I have to manully shift my automatic trans. got worse though....had a big clunk and it wouldn't move. after trying moving hi lo shift i put it in reverse and got it to move . so any way it sits next to my garage .....frowning...anyone got any ideas?........excluding driving techniqes.....:(

rocky
01-29-2007, 03:14 AM
the need to manually shift your tranny tells me that you need a new one.

luckyjoe
01-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Read through this site http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/faq.html to see if you see a symptom match. If you do, you will see a fault explanation. Ashcroft is in the UK, but they are experts with the ZF.

You will essentially have three transmission options (from most-to-least expensive):
1. New
2. Rebuilt
3. Used

If you have a good, ZF-competent shop near you, the rebuild might be a good option, but IMHO generic rebuilds are questionable (what exactly did they do?). So locating a good, low-mileage, used transmission quickly becomes the desired option. That's what I decided to do. If you're handy with a wrench and work on your rover, you can do the swap yourself saving a lot of money. If you go down that road I can give you some pointers from when I swapped my ZF...

Regards,

singingcamel
01-30-2007, 11:36 AM
need more info.. does it not shift at all? if you can manually shift it,and it works it may be a stuck kickdown table.
had one that would'nt shift into 4th due to a stuck cable. look behind you linkage..